What's new

Vocals & Picture "out-of-sync" on a DVD ?!?! (1 Viewer)

SeanA

Second Unit
I've never had this happen before on a DVD, but for about 1 minute the vocals were noticeably lagging the image. I felt like I was watching an old Japanese Godzilla movie !!! But I was watching a fairly new movie... "A Price above Rubies" with Renee Zellweger. (I will watch anything that she is in).

Anyway, I am just wondering how this can happen on a DVD. Is the problem with the DVD, the receiver, or the DVD player ??? I am guessing it is a flaw in the DVD itself.

Tim K

Second Unit
yes it can happen. Used to happen with my Pioneer DVD-414 years ago. I think most players are better these days. I used to have to stop and restart the movie to sync it back up.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
My Sony DVP-S530 very occasionally has this problem (the player was quite notorious for it when it came out circa 1997-98). Just stop the disc and restart and you're good to go.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This was a huge controversy back in 1998-2000. And the two players mentioned above, the 414 and Sony 530, both second-generation units, were notorious for it. Some UK magazines published "watch lists" of DVD players that had trouble keeping the audio and video tracks in sync.

Some players simply had problems reading certain discs.

Both player technology and DVD-authoring technology (and procedures) have improved substantially in the ensuing three or so years.

But it still occurs from time to time. As noted, simply stop the disc and then press "Play" a couple of seconds later. The tracks should be in sync.

SeanA

Second Unit
Thanks guys... I guess that makes more sense than a fault in the DVD. Just glad DVD players have improved to the point where this is a rare occurrence.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I know of two other players the Pioneer Elite DV-05 and Sony PS2 the old ones at least.

Daniel Smith

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Both player technology and DVD-authoring technology (and procedures) have improved substantially in the ensuing three or so years.
Absolutely.

And my Sony 530 only very, very rarely demonstrates the sync problem nowadays. But when this player first came out, a fair amount of vitriol followed, related to this problem.

I'm happy to report that my 5 year old 530 is still going strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks