VMWare 3.1 is the coolest software ever!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ely, Jul 9, 2002.

1. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

A couple of years ago I fooled around with an application called VMWare. This application would allow multiple operating systems to be installed within 'virtual machines' on your system. Unfortunately, the version that was out at the time was quite awful so I tossed it.

Earlier this week I decided to give it another try. I must say that with all the improvements made in the current version, its become a terrific application.

I do technical support for network connectivity and host access products. VMWare has now allowed me to become so much more efficient at work! It's so cool to have Win2k Server installed on your system and then have WinNT 4.0 and Solaris open in multiple windows!

VMWare is definitely not for the average user, but it will be a great tool that requires testing under multiple operating systems!

2. Kolya

Kolya Stunt Coordinator

I agree, it's very cool. I've used it in a couple different situations:

1. I use it to run game servers in Linux on my Win2k Desktop over the weekend.

2. I consolidated multiple servers onto one box by building a single hefty server (dual processor, 2GB DDR, 15k SCSI Raid 1), installing a stripped down linux, and running multiple Win2k A/S images on it.