VLC media player

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ian_Woods, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Ian_Woods

Ian_Woods Agent

Just instaled this open source program and wow it rocks , thanks to all those GNU people.
    Do you have it ? and what do you think.
    I love the fact that it plays a dvd as a wallpaper alowing me to work on the pc at the same time or check out HTF without getting in the way.
    For the inquisitive here are the list of formats it supports as well as operating systems etc etc....
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I have used it for a while now, mostly as a tool for capturing and transcoding files in different formats. It definitely has its virtues, though it has limitations too.

3. Ian_Woods

Ian_Woods Agent

Yes that is usefull. as too limitations that is true but still way better that wmp.

4. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

What limitations does it have? I have yet to have a problem with mine. Although I must admist that I only use it for viewing various video formats.

5. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I use it for as a streaming video server on my linux box so that I can watch tv on my treo.

I also use it on my windows laptop, primarily because it opens up faster than windows media player and always at least attempts to play the files.

6. Ian_Woods

Ian_Woods Agent

Well lets see as a regular user I can definitely see an improvement in the quality and if you have some computer savy you can make it jump through hoops , I cant but thats what I love about programs like this , there is always something more you can do with it. Its a learning curve ..... I reset defaults often and start over.

Greg so basicaly it works great, I guess what I am saying is the limitations are my ability not vlc

7. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

As an example, one which is important to me if to few other people, VLC cannot display closed captions or TeleText from a video capture card. I happen to have a capture card which supports CaptionVision, but I have to use the ATi TV programme if I want to view captions.

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I only use VLC when I'm trying to play a movie that's having problems in Zoom Player/WMP. Neat player for compatiblity as it'll play just about anything trouble-free, but not as versatile as ZP.

9. Ian_Woods

Ian_Woods Agent

I wish I had the skill to create my own player , not for comercial reasons just for the joy of it.

10. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

actually, vlc can easily be one of the most versitile players, because it uses ffmpeg which can be manipulated to almost any extreme. As Ian had said before, actually working with some of the finer details is a lot harder. You need to actually learn the command line switches for the decoder (for most work ffmpeg is used) and then have vlc apply it.

11. Ian_Woods

Ian_Woods Agent

Rob what is this player capable of doing once you learn how to use the command line switches and if you can spare the time could you give me something to try out? Bear in mind I am a novice.

12. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Here's a link to the ffmpeg documentation:
    http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/ffmpeg-doc.html

Since vlc primarily uses ffmpeg for all decoding work you can take the information from there and apply it to vlc. Unfortunately, my primary use of vlc is with linux for video streaming, where it is all command line to begin with. So I haven't taken the time to learn how to manipulate the windows client to the same degree. But basically you should be able to find a spot in the configuration for sending additional switches to the ffmpeg decoder.

13. Ian_Woods

Ian_Woods Agent

time to hit the books

14. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

15. Ian_Woods

Ian_Woods Agent

Spasibo Rob , just what the doctor ordered , I am off to play.
    I might surface in a day or two.