What's new

vizio (1 Viewer)

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
You can get 50" 1080i Plasmas for $1700 in all sorts of B&M.

1080p is pretty unnecessary in my mind. You would need to sit about 5' away on this size screen to see ANY difference between the two panels.

The Plasmas have much better contrast and color saturation, which is more important than resolution anyways.

Well in your mind 1080p is unnecessary, but I've heard that argument in the past for other technologies which became the de facto standard. So some of us might want to be ready for when broadcast 1080p comes around. At least we have 1080p for dvds right now.

So if you can spot a 1080p Plasma that is close to 50" for around $1650 let us know.

Oh, by the way, the one I really want is the Panasonic 65" 1080p Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV Model: TH-65PX600U. I just can't afford it yet.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Broadcast 1080p? Ha! Not anytime soon. Your TV will be defunct by then.

And as for 1080p content, there is nothing from stopping you from running a 1080p source downconverted to 1080i/720p. You will NOT see a noticeable difference between this and a 1080p monitor at the distances you are probably viewing your set. And this will give you an AWESOME picture.

You can do the math if you want, but 1080p displays are not necessary. 1080p content however, is great (compared to the current downconverted 480i DVDs).

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Beber
I have a 50" Vizio Plasma, it only goes up to 1080i but the picture still looks great. I think it's a little less than $2000 at Costco

Which 1080i plasmas have you seen for $1700 at a B&M that you can recommend? I'd like to try and compare. (can they also do 720p?)

Thanks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

That plasma -- and I'm pretty sure ALL plasmas -- ONLY do progressive. That is actually 720p. It will accept a 1080i signal and convert it to 720p, but it will always only display 720p.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Hmm...this discussion while very informative fails address Corona's question which is..if anyone has anything to say about Vizio TVs..
Corona..maybe u should try going to AVSFoum where I believe I've seen a couple of thread that u might get some info on the set. Sorry, if I had to direct him to another site...:frowning:

Jacob C

Second Unit
I dont know if it is the way they are set up in the stores but I have found the black levels on many plasmas to be unacceptable. Vizio has been one of the common offenders. Maybe my eyes dont work right but thats what I see. I know plasmas are supposed to have great contrast but many do not have very dark blacks.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
It's how they are set-up in the store. A calibrated plasma does extremely well with blacks.

When I said 1080i, I meant compliant. It can take a 1080i signal as an input. Like all fixed panel displays (included DLP, LCD, and LCoS) it converts everything to it's native resolution

I believe most 50" plasmas are native 1280x768 (or 720 in some cases).

The Panasonic 50" model in stores now gets very good ratings and I've seen it for $1799. The Vizio also gets good reviews and I've seen it for $1699.

I just wouldn't buy an LCD flatpanel in these size. There is no benefit vs current generation of plasmas.

BTW - I own a 46" LCD RPTV.

corona13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
what panny 50" are you speaking of?

I have seen the 50" panny plasma I am looking at for $1725, the 50PX60U at a reputable on-line dealer. but we all know that's not what you see when you checkout...I'm looking at $2,585, that includes a wall mount (265), 5 yr. warranty (350--A must, IMO, for a technology like a plasmas) and shipping (245). Even if I shop around for a cheaper wall mount, I'm still looking at 2,500

lets go to LCD Vizio, looking at 1899, plus 90 for mount, plus 370 for 5 yr warranty, I'm looking at 2359, only 200 cheaper, BUT 1080p and 3" smaller...

This tells me this:

If I'm going with Plasma, I should probably get the Panny as $200 for a good quality brand and $200 is not much when we are talking about something that I will use for 7-10 years.

However, getting a 1080p display for 200 less than the panny, I should consider this, no?

Which bring me to my original post...If it were you, which display would you purchase?

After further analyzing, I'm leaning towards the panny 50" plasma.

I tend to agree with Chris and this whole 1080p situation...to me it sounds more and more like marketing TVs we just dont need yet (I mean, Jessica Simpson is pushing 1080 in TV commercials)...it's obviously a tech term manufacturers wanted to turn into a Buzz word consumers now look for.

I actually have a friend who bought a 1080p TV that doesn't even accept the signal. When I told him I was looking at the panny and the vizio, he said I would be a fool to buy either one, and I should "sack up" and buy a Sony bravia 1080p...great, maybe he can give me the 4500+ it will take after warranty and mount options. I dont have the heart to tell him his TV does not even accept a pure 1080p...which kind of defends Chris's point (when 1080p content is finally delivered, this kid will be convinced he is viewing a pure 1080p signal, which we all know he is not, which would tell me you cannot tell the difference, unless you have a discerning eye.)

Wow…I guess I have answered my own question and it is a matter of personal choice. However, whenever you drop 2500 on something, you want to make sure your decision is based on proper information, not a series of emotions…which is when we humans usually base decisions on.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
I was talking about the 50PX60U as well. $1900 right now at my local store. It was $100 cheaper last week. $250 for a wall mount? Yikes. They have them for much cheaper. This set also comes w/ a stand if you don't wall mount.

I can understand buying a warranty for a $2000 plasma. Wasn't necessary in my mind for a $1000 LCD - if it's going to fry it will fry w/in the first year.

That cracks me up about the 1080p display that doesn't even take a 1080p signal. Hilarious.

And BTW, on the size displays you are looking at, you would have to sit about 6' away to see any MINUTE difference between 1080p content displayed at 1080p or downscaled to 1080i/720p.

1080p DISPLAYS are just not necessary for probably 95% of people.

However, 1080p CONTENT, even downconverted to 1080i/720p will be a more noticeable difference to 1080i CONTENT.

So I would much rather save the $500+ to go with a 1080p display and spend it on an HD-DVD player.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Sam's carries Vizio as well and I swear everytime I am there I am glued to the Vizio 50 inch plasma. For one, the cabinet is beautiful. Reminds me of the newer black laminate stuff on Samsung's DLP sets. Gorgeous looking TVs for sure.

I think they look good and have good specs. They have recieved some good reviews from The Perfect Vision too.

Let us know what you do....I think the 42 inch Vizio is about $1400. :)

Jacob C

Second Unit
So many people talk about how you cannot see a difference between 1080P and 720P from a 'X' distance but I've found it depends on the content. While I admit it is hard to see more detail in movie content the 1080P just somehow looks better. Another time is when you have text on the screen. To me it is also very obvious when small text is displayed which one is higher resolution if I am looking at 2 side by side. Still, 720P looks very good and I wouldnt make resolution the only selling point. For me accurate colors and good contrast are at the top of my list when looking at TV's.

corona13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
wow...1900 is not bad if it is at your local store...save 300 on shipping...now your talking about saving some nice $$$..

I should look at the local stores and see the price, instead of BBY...which sells it (panny) for 2700.

I could always listen to my wife...her opinion is to keep my 36" Sony Wega until it breaks..."Is this new thingy going to make that big a difference in our life anyway?"

Desicions, decisions, decisions.

What will we be debating about 10 years from now, I wonder?

I don't care, as long as it is enough justification to buy a new TV!!

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
My wife gave me the whole, "do we really need a new 46" TV"

we had a 34" Sony Wega CRT HD the past two years - moved it into the bedroom.

She is VERY happy with the purchase. We can't believe we were watching such a small screen from 10'.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Jacob,
Are you telling me you can go to a store and look at say a 50" 1080p and a 1080i/720p from the same distance (say 10') both showing OTA HD (not 1080p content) and see a difference that makes you want to pay $500-$2000 more?

I certainly can not, and I have extremely good eye sight.

Ok, just got back from Sams and picked up the Vizio 50" Plasma with the tuner built in. Nice price at $1689. I'll let you know the comparison results as soon as I can find another person to help me get it up the stairs!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks