HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Martin Dew submitted a new blog post

VIZIO announces Filmmaker Mode on 2020 TVs
unnamed-1-1024x856.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Never understood why they couldn't have TVs default to the correct settings- when looking at them in stores I always set them correctly if I could, otherwise it just looks like the store personnel don't know what they're doing if they run them in the default settings. The worst is having the motion smoothing defaulting to on as is stretching 4x3 signals- many people are so blind they think that's how it's supposed to be and leave it there.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Im confused by this whole issue. From what ive read, the filmmaker mode will remove all video processing done by the TV such as edge enhancement and smooth motion. Game mode on my LGuh8500 already does this.

And in the article raving about this mode over on the digital bits it seems to imply that this feature will make every film now look exactly as intended. I dont see how thats possible unless either every disc and stream from now on contains metadata concerning color gamut, contrast, white balance etc. wich this new mode will read and adjust, or every film made now will be mastered with the exact same settings and we will not be able to adjust.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I actually keep the same setting for all content on my TV- if the brightness levels are off, that's the problem with the transfer and not my TV or its settings. (I've noticed Lionsgate movies on Vudu have the brightness level too high for example.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks