"Viva Zapata" --- Is There A Region 1 Rights Problem

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JohnPM, Jun 1, 2006.

1. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

I've noticed this title available on Region 2 from the UK for the last several years. I can only guess there's a rights problem in the US where this "Viva Zapata" is concerned. Otherwise, I should think it would have been available some time ago. Anyone know the story? Is it something to do with Steinbeck's estate? I would think this would be a fairly popular library title, and a good candidate for DVD release.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    There are whispers this title will be coming out in the near future 2006/2007.

Crawdaddy

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

that would be good news indeed

4. willyTass

willyTass Second Unit

The region 4 transfer is excellent.

Good movie too.

5. Random Hero

Random Hero Second Unit

This was announced a few years ago and nothing came of it.

I remember the VHS copy being quite expensive, and it probably still is, so hopefully this gets released.

6. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

The Australian DVD is very cheap, most supermarkets sell it for AUD$10 (~US$7.50)

7. Random Hero

Random Hero Second Unit

That's nice to know. A good option for those with multi-region players.

8. Simon Howson

Viva Zapata is currently AUD$3.92 at EzyDVD.com.au see here

It is actually AUD$3.56 (about US$3), because international orders don't pay G.S.T. (Sales Tax). Postage for 1 DVD is AUD$5.50. Postage for more DVDs is cheaper, see here.

I beleive the disc is Region 4 and Region 2, but I'm not totally sure. It is PAL encoded though.

They have lots of other Fox Classics DVDs cheap as well. Note they don't have a lot of extras like the R1 Fox Studio Classics versions, but most of them on special are currently under AUD$4. See here

Full disclosure: I previously worked for EzyDVD, but that was 2.5 years ago.

9. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

It was mentioned recently (with a lot of other titles) as forthcoming from Fox. They pulled THE WAYWARD BUS from the Jayne Mansfield Collection because of a rights issue from the Steinbeck estate, and I suspect that VIVA ZAPATA might have a similar problem. I'm not a big Brando fan but he gives terrific performance in the film. It's also a good Elia Kazan (whose A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN was abruptly pulled, but which has a SE available in R2).

10. Simon Howson

EzyDVD.com.au in Australia is currently selling a PAL version of Viva Zapata for AUD$1 + postage:

Viva Zapata! @ EzyDVD

It is an official Fox release, from memory the quality is good, but not perfect.

11. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I bought the DVD from EZY DVD a few months ago. It's not the greatest looking B/W DVD in my collection, but does look pretty darned good. It's an actual Fox release, so do not expect a PD piece of crap, or something along the lines of The Quiet Man from Artisan. it's a steal from EZY DVD. Cost more to ship than the disc cost.