What's new

Visual Differences between AVA250 and PE250 (1 Viewer)

Cam S

Screenwriter
Hey guys, I just received my Shiva, AVA250, and FP4 port kit today, and I have a couple questions.

First, are there ANY visual cues to tell the AVA250 and PE250 apart from eachother, such as numbers, or anything??

Second, I ended up paying an extra 151 bucks (canadian) when the UPS guy dropped off the stuff. Now from what I have heard from others who have odered from the US to Canada, they didn't pay as much as me (DustinB). So I'm starting to wonder why I paid so much?

The 151 bucks consisted of this:

Duty = $18.55

GST = $37.56

PST = $40.25

Brokerage Fee = $51.45

Brokerage GST = $3.60

Total = $151.41

Can anyone tell me if that sounds right?? I was a little nervous about buying something from the US and shipping it up here, but now I'm sweating bullits that I paid too much. Someone tell me I didn't, please.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Quote from Dustin B:

"I never ordered the HS500 but I did order a Tempest and AVA250. Are you sure you need the HS500. The AVA250 gets my Tempest allignment to Xmax according to LspCAD. Anyways, here's the cost break down I had.

Tempest was $140 USD minus a 5% discount. AVA250 was $179 USD minus a 5% discount Shipping by UPS Standard (7day ground) was $40.90 USD

Which totals $343.95 USD. On my Visa this showed up as $540.84 CDN.

Add to that $78.40 CDN for tax and border fees.

And you get $619.24"

I ended up paying $681 after it was all said and done.

I got the AVA250 at a discounted price so even with the FP4 port kit, it still should have been cheaper???

Jeff Mills

Stunt Coordinator
The 151 bucks consisted of this:

Duty = $18.55

GST = $37.56

PST = $40.25

Brokerage Fee = $51.45

Brokerage GST = $3.60

Total = $151.41

Can anyone tell me if that sounds right??

That sounds about right. I just paid $36 for brokerage on $151 USD worth of goods. I didnt pay duty as the goods were made in the USA (NAFTA says goods manufactured in the USA avoid duty).

Cam S

Screenwriter
I phoned UPS and asked about the fee's, and they make sense that that she explained to me where the tax's came from and everything else.

But why did Dustin B still end up paying 70 bucks less than me, even though his parts cost 10 bucks more than mine?? Both of our products are from Adire.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Cam, as far as the visual differences they are far and few between other than different serial numbers. The difference is in the resistors that make the rumble filter. The price may have shocked you a bit but you will soon forget about it once you hook it up and watch your first movie. :D It will be much, much better than anything you could have bought near its price range.
Kyle Richardson
Acoustic Visions

Cam S

Screenwriter
Kyle, I was told by severl poeple that deal with shipping to and from the US and Canada, and they all say that I shouldn't have paid PST, what's the deal with that???

The price isn't so much a shocker nice. I tlaked to UPS and they broke down all the costs for me, so it makes sense now, except the PST.

So anyone know if I should have paid PST or not??

BTW, I never new how nice this sub is, man is it sweet, and the build quality of the amp is incredible nice. I didn't think the FP4 kit would be so large, my god!!!

Paul_C

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think there is any way to tell the two amps apart. From what I have read and seen on the two sites they are exactly the same. Adire has modified the amp a little but those modifications can be done after the fact. MCM electronics also sells this amp.
I have always been charged PST. I have never heard of PST not being charged. At least in BC. It may be different in another Province. This one has me stumped.
As for shipping;
Do NOT get it shipped UPS. They charge a brokerage fee that is not required. Looks like you paid about $55 extra. Correct me if I am wrong but this fee is on top of the shipping charge.
I try to get people to ship Fedex or USPS. USPS is sometimes slower but if your not in a hurry then it is usually the cheapest.
Customs only has a $5.00 handling fee. There should not have been any duty on the items you brought back. Customs will also include an invoice if they handle the package. Did you get a customs invoice and did it show the $18 duty charge? If it did you can dispute it. Look on the back of the customs invoice and it should tell you how to get your money back (has an address). You might have to prove that the items were made in the US. I have disputed customs charges before and had a refund of GST and PST. I hate paying the government more than I should.
I ordered my amp from MCM ($105 USD) a week ago and got it delivered by Fedex yesterday. Customs got me for PST, GST and a handling fee of $5.00. Came to about $27 CDN. Don't know what the shipping cost was yet. They said about $35 USD. I will see it on Visa next month. :) The total cost for this amp delivered will be about $230 CDN.
Paul.
P.S. I hooked this puppy up for a little sound test and well... it works really well. ;)

Paul_C

Stunt Coordinator
Holy cow man, I just got it yesterday. :D Give me a couple of days to take it apart.
I am pretty sure it has the 6 db at 30hz boost everyone has indicated.
I will use the PDF from Partsexpress to lower it to a 1db boost at 20hz. This will keep the rumble filter near my tuning point of 20hz. Should keep my sub from bottoming out. I believe this is one of the changes that Adire has done to the amp.
That price from MCM was one of their weekly specials. I am not sure what their regular price is. I think around $120 USD. Still cheaper than other places.
Paul.
P.S. I put a DVD on the 6" port and had it lifting about a 1/4 inch when I was playing the ice crystal scene in Titan A.E. I didn't want to push it hard until I set it up properly. :D

Cam S

Screenwriter
Paul, could you please E-mail me at [email protected] regarding the fee's that I pad and shouldn't have paid, I'd let to get that worked out ASAP. Maybe we can discuss it on the phone if you would like, just e-mail me your number. Thanks Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks