What's new

VistaVision--film by film chat and vote (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I haven't ever seen Funny Face or Gunfight....Here's hoping my first time is on blu, as it has been for several other classics...

64dc1304_gunfight.jpg

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Originally Posted by MattH.
Funny Face should be numero uno for a Blu-ray transfer. The last DVD release (which I reviewed) looked really spectacular, and the colors are so vivid and the entire production design of the film is so striking and unusual that it clearly would benefit from a high definition treatment. Of the Hepburn films, of course, Breakfast at Tiffany's seems to get much more attention, but that last DVD release (which I also reviewed) had some problems which I hope Paramount will address for the Blu-ray release. I believe I read somewhere that Tiffany's is coming out this fall on Blu-ray.

Well, Funny Face preceded Breakfast at Tiffany's as a Centennial Collection release. Then again, anything released in that line has a very high likelihood of being released on Blu-ray.

Surprised that The Buster Keaton Story wasn't put on DVD, simply due to Keaton's general renown and name recognition, even if he was hardly involved in the production.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I know this is already on Blu-ray, but I just ordered it, so thought I would throw it out there. Thanks for the recommendation, Ben:

91436e93_189500.1020.A.jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Cinescott: If you like Westerns, I think you'll like this one. Please give us a report when you've seen it. It was one of the very first blu-rays I got, and it made a believer out of me. I didn't know until I watched it and started reading about it that the scenery in it had an influence on Lawrence of Arabia.

4d446379_searchers.jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by MattH.
I love seeing the old posters, too, Ben. Keep 'em coming!
Good--I'm glad there are more fans of these old posters out there...

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by JoHud

Well, Funny Face preceded Breakfast at Tiffany's as a Centennial Collection release. Then again, anything released in that line has a very high likelihood of being released on Blu-ray.

Surprised that The Buster Keaton Story wasn't put on DVD, simply due to Keaton's general renown and name recognition, even if he was hardly involved in the production.
JoHud: If you've seen the Keaton story, let us know what you think of it...

98b740bc_keaton.jpg

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I love Westerns and have been to Monument Valley a couple of times and taken the "John Ford" tour and saw many locations for this one and interestingly, "Once Upon a Time in the West." Amazing. I think I'll have a high appreciation for this one. It's always so interesting to me to compare Westerns like this with "Unforgiven" and "Dances With Wolves."

Originally Posted by benbess
Cinescott: If you like Westerns, I think you'll like this one. Please give us a report when you've seen it. It was one of the very first blu-rays I got, and it made a believer out of me. I didn't know until I watched it and started reading about it that the scenery in it had an influence on Lawrence of Arabia.

4d446379_searchers.jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Here's our next batch:

[*]
Hear Me Good (1957)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joker_is_Wildhttp://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/548694/width/1000/height/800

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This looks interesting to me. A Western with Jack Palance and Anthony Perkins....Has anyone out there seen this one?

84e80d3e_lonely2.jpg

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by benbess
This looks interesting to me. A Western with Jack Palance and Anthony Perkins....Has anyone out there seen this one?

84e80d3e_lonely2.jpg
Great thinking man's western with some solid acting by both Palance and Perkins. Paramount released a widescreen-anamorphic DVD in 2003 which is out of print but can be obtained through Amazon private sellers.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
These look like a short cut to movie hell...Keep em in the vault it looks like...

c23a2ce7_omar2.jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
We already heard one vote for a thumbs up on this Sinatra title. Wasn't Scorsese going to make a Sinatra bio pic with DiCaprio? That's a few years off, but at some point that might make Sinatra's real movies more commercially viable. They probably viable now, since Sinatra is still a huge star with a massive fan base...

8c8070fc_joker.jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tin_Starhttp://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/549047/width/1000/height/800http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/549049/width/1000/height/800

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by ahollis
Great thinking man's western with some solid acting by both Palance and Perkins. Paramount released a widescreen-anamorphic DVD in 2003 which is out of print but can be obtained through Amazon private sellers.
ahollis: Thanks for the report. I'd like to see this one someday.

I think Westerns are commercially viable today. Like many of you, I saw and enjoyed the recent True Grit with Jeff Bridges and others. What's impressive is the box office for that film. According to Box office mojo that movie has grossed $171 million in the US alone, with worldwide box office about $250 million. Those numbers show that people will pay to watch a classic Western. And although I did like the new True Grit, I think most film fans would agree with me that there are dozens of Westerns from the 50s alone that are just as good and quite a few even better--and many of those are in the Paramount vault. There is a built in audience for these films, but perhaps the trick is getting younger people to give these movies a chance. You may recall my almost certainly unrealistic idea of hiring Edna Mode to promote the work of the woman who made her possible, the legendary leader of costume at Paramount Edith Head. Well, here's a more realistic version of that for Westerns. Hire Jeff Bridges to do promotions for classic Paramount Westerns of the 50s--Shane, Gunfight, Tin Star, etc. Jeff Bridges is a guy with some credibility for older and younger audiences, and if he says these Westerns are worth it, I think more will buy. And you could make it a special deal, with Bridges saying as part of Paramount's 100th anniversary they are bringing back these classic Westerns to their original glory, and that they're not only part of Hollywood history they are great movie experiences today. They are better than even the new True Grit imho, even though I thought that was a very solid film.

True Grit, of course, was also a Paramount title.

True Grit

Domestic Total as of Apr. 28, 2011:$171,050,328

Distributor:http://boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=paramount.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks