What's new

VistaVision--film by film chat and vote (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Criterion DVD which has been out for some years is framed in 1.66:1, isn't it? And it looks just fine as is. I've never noticed anything "off" when I've watched it.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
MattH. said:
The Criterion DVD which has been out for some years is framed in 1.66:1, isn't it? And it looks just fine as is. I've never noticed anything "off" when I've watched it.
If you look at the header of the first VV page at Widescreen Museum, it makes interesing reading as far as 1.66 is concerned. I am sure somewhere I have the BFI chart of film ratios including frame enlargements and this shows an anamorphic print. Do you recall where you saw it Doug?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
77b2ab44_VV1.jpeg
Paramount always recommended 1.85:1 as the ideal ratio for VistaVision. They initially adopted 1.66:1 as their official house ratio in March 1953, but switched to 1.85 by the end of 1953.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
benbess said:
The Far Horizons is about the Lewis and Clark expedition. It looks like it's filled with more make believe history and racism than even the average Western, but it's hard to tell. Has anyone ever seen this one? I have to say the trailer for it doesn't look that great, but the cast is good, and the scenery would be spectacular in VistaVision:
Good cast wasted in a below average movie.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
A new HD master of High Society has just popped up on Amazon Prime, and is "free" to stream for prime members. Looks very good to me! Fans of the film should check it out....
46e64993_society.jpeg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The clips from High Society that are used in the That's Entertainment Blu-rays always stand out from everything else that surrounds them. The clarity and richness of color are simply astounding.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Lawrence Olivier directs and stars in Richard III, in a production filmed in VistaVision. Strong production values. Excellent cast. Almost stunning restoration from problematic original VistaVision elements by Grover Crisp and Co. And Shakespeare, of course. Highly Recommended Criterion release. On sale now at amzn and other places for $20.

Attachments

• Richard3.jpg
    Richard3.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 41

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Is there any possibility that Criterion could license One-Eyed Jacks and FINALLY give it the presentation it deserves on Blu-ray? (Or -- I wonder if it's one of the Paramount titles licensed to Warner Bros.)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Good news about Richard III, the release of another VistaVision blu-ray (and that his remains were recently discovered under a car park).

Olive haven't released any VistaVision titles recently so I assume that most of them will now be released through Warners (if at all). I have always assumed that One Eyed Jacks was a PD title which would account for the terrible DVDs we have endured.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Martin Scorsese introduces Richard III, and goes throught the restoration process:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Keith Cobby said:
I have received the German release of The Battle of the River Plate (German title Graf Spee) on Blu-ray. Very nice picture quality for this VistaVision title and I recommend it.
It's a lovely transfer, but the film is cut. The deleted scene is included on the disc, but I found it quite jarring.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
from the booklet:

"When it premiered at London's Leicester Square Theatre in December 1955, Richard III ran 161 minutes. Subjected to cuts by both theatrical and television distributors, the film has been shown at various lengths over the years in the United Kingdom and the United States, including versions as much as twenty minutes shorter. In 2012, The Film Foundation completed an extensive digital restoration of a 158-minute cut of the film. This restoration utilized, for the first time, the original VistaVision camera negative, the original YCM separation pro-masters, and footage trimmed from the original negative, to create the longest existing version of the film. All the elements were scanned at 4K resolution at Cineric Inc., in New York, on an Oxberry wet gate scanner. The color correction was done by Sheri Eisenberg at Colorworks, in Culver City, California, using a Baselight 8 color-grading system. The soundtrack was restored from an original 35mm monaural optical track print.

Restoration funding provided by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and The Film Foundation. Restored by The Film Foundation and Janus Films, in association with the BFI National Archive, ITV Studios Global Entertainment Ltd., the Museum of Modern Art, and Romulus Films.

Restoration supervisors: Grover Crisp, Tom Heitman.
4K mastering: Colorworks, Culver City, CA.
Digital picture restoration: MTI Film, Hollywood.
Soundtrack restoration: Chance Audio by Deluxe, Burbank, CA.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Does anyone here know of any other VistaVision films that are coming out on blu-ray?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
How about The Scarlet Hour, one of Michael Curtiz's last films and one of the least celebrated Vista Vision films?

Scarlet Hour, The.jpg

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
benbess said:
Does anyone here know of any other VistaVision films that are coming out on blu-ray?
One title that hasn't been scheduled yet, but might be worth a go on Blu-ray, is George Cukor's Heller in Pink Tights (1960). Judging by the overall quality of Paramount's 2005 DVD, whether the home studio or Warners ran with it, they would at least have something in pretty decent condition to work from. Actually, I was a little startled by how well Heller's SD transfer upscaled to 1080p. Ditto for Li'l Abner.

I still think Paramount/Warners are missing a niche opportunity here by not releasing a specifically branded VistaVision series on Blu-ray. Of principal interest to diehard collectors for sure, but if they showcased and packaged such a series with an eye toward the worldwide market (including some background features and discussion about the VV process, plus other rare vault material), then I think they could command the more premium pricing needed to justify such a series. With its higher native resolution, plus typically less wear and tear on the original negatives, VV should be a natural for high-def video...so beats me why we've only seen a smattering of re-releases of 'the usual suspects' so far. I mean, when even used DVDs of some of these VV titles command $20 to $40 bucks via the aftermarket, then what other motivation does Paramount/Warners need?

BTW benbess, I've finally caught up with this and the Technicolor thread, and wanted to thank you and everyone else who has contributed to the trove of retro info in both. Great reading folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks