What's new

Vista won't connect to my wireless router. Help! (1 Viewer)

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Hi HTF, I'm hoping someone out there happens to be a networking expert, because I'm stuck.

I have just purchased a verizon dsl account, and they provided me with a westell 7500 modem/router. To go with this, I purchased an Asus M70vm laptop, to use in my living room, which came preloaded with Vista Home Premium 32bit. My intent is to use my laptop to stream music from my desktop computer or the internet to my sound system, as well as use my television for displaying video from the laptop now and then. Because of the distance and setup, a wired internet connection to the internet is not possible.

Vista will not, no matter what, create a solid connection to the router wirelessly. All drivers/OS are updated, and the newest firmware is installed on the 7500.

When I attempt to connect wirelessly, Vista gives me the error message "did not receive a response from the router" and refuses to connect. If I restart my computer, or continuously retry to connect, I may get a connection, which will then fail within a minute. Any attempt to reconnect gives the same above message. I can see the wireless network listed as full strength, and it is not a signal strength problem, as the problem persists even when I am within 10 feet of the router.

I have tried changing / removing the encryption on the router for wireless, with no affect.

I then took my laptop to work today, and was able to connect flawlessly in seconds to the wireless system here that uses Cisco wireless access points and WPA encryption.

Any ideas? I'm all out of them. Help!!

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi, It could possibly be the routers Fault. Do you have another Device or Computer to connect to the router Wirelessly??

I would try and Call your ISP to see if they can Help it could be so many things.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Also, if you can see other unsecured wireless networks nearby, try connecting to one of them (or go somewhere you know has a wireless signal you can connect to). If you can connect to another router, then it's probably the router.

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Thanks for your replies!

I did as you suggested Gerald, and gave Verizon a call. Unfortunately, they had no idea why it wasn't connecting, and after spending an hour and a half with them walking me through changing settings in the router, rebooting, etc. I had no luck connecting, and I gave up.

As Bryan had suggested, I took my laptop to work, and was able to connect perfectly to the network, so I figured it had to be something to do with my router. I had a chat with the network admin about router settings, and showed him a printout I made of all the wireless settings pages. He mentioned the one thing that stood out as being different was that my router was configured to receive mixed signal types, whereas the work access points were set to only receive 802.11G signals. As soon as I changed this at home and created a new network ID, my laptop was able to connect perfectly! I don't know if this is a flaw with my router, Vista, or my laptop's network adapter, but I'm now working with a perfect wireless network!

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks