Visits to the Dentist.... ugh...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Oct 29, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

talk about depressing.

I went in there thinking I'd finally have a good dentist visit, with perhaps one cavity. My teeth where never very good to begin with, and the fact that I Have an over bite dosn't help matters much, so I try to take care of them as best I can, but this month even more so than usual.

I go in there, now I have to go back three seperate times for three seperate teeth.

Sigh. I heard something on the news where scientists had cloned teeth in a lab animal, and where working on getting it so that it could be done in humans as well. Maby that's what I need. Anyone heard anything on this latley?

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

According to the project leader at the University of Boston (NPR has an interview with her here, in Real Audio: http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/atc/20020926.atc.10.ram), it might become a reality for humans in about 15 years... so I'm afraid you'll have to go to the dentist a few more times. [​IMG]
    I hated going to the dentist too, and didn't go for almost 10 years. Then I had to get a triple root canal. No fun, and more expensive. Since then I go every six months, and it's amazing how much dental technology has advanced in 10 years. I don't mind it at all now, they just shoot me up with novocaine and I don't feel a thing. [​IMG]

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Yep, all cavities. Probably from eating those round starburst peppermint candies latley, despite constant brushing afterwords..
    And I used to go in one day to get 'em all done, but I guess they just keep on getting busier because they scheduled me for late December.
    And to the first replier, yep, I had a root canal too. The Root Canal itself wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I just hate those raincoat things that male dentists seem forced to use every time you go to 'em. Another reason why I'm glad all the dentists in this 'new' place are all ladies [​IMG]

5. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

You're lucky. I'm getting all four wisdom teeth yanked this Thursday! My insurance picked up all but $650, so no CDs or DVDs for me for about a month.

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

8. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Mine are all impacted and coming in sideways!

9. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

Go get a second opinion. It's not unheard-of for a dentist to "find" cavities when the balloon payment on their Mercedes lease comes due. [​IMG]
    This happened to me. As a child, I received at least three or four fillings in my mouth that I probably didn't need. When the dentist tried to claim I needed five(!) more the next visit, my mother called BS and took me to another dentist, who (surprise!) found nothing at all.
    It happened again a few years ago; my dentist discovered a single cavity after countless uneventful visits, and scheduled an appointment to fill it a couple of weeks later. When I went back for the appointment, I found the office closed with no forwarding address posted in the window. I forgot about the "cavity" until the next time I saw a dentist, six months later... and guess what? No cavities.
    Based on my experience, it's hard to avoid the conclusion that scamming occurs at least occasionally in dentistry. Once the drilling is done, there's no way to go back and prove it was (or wasn't) necessary.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

man I hate the dentist.
    I need to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted but I'm waiting until I have insurance since they're all impacted and will require some surgery. Hopefully with me unconscious [​IMG]
    I haven't had a root canal or cavity yet *knock on wood) my teeth are pretty good.

11. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator

It didn't cost me anything for my wisdom teeth. Most health insurance will pick up impacted wisdom teeth (I had US Healthcare which is the worst HMO ever). All I had to do was go to my PCP and get a referral to an oral surgeon. It took 3 or 4 rejections before the insurance company would fess up to receiving the referral, but they eventually did and it didn't cost me a cent out of pocket.

12. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>Go get a second opinion. It's not unheard-of for dentists to "find" cavities when the balloon payment on their Mercedes lease comes due. [​IMG] >
    Scary that people would be willing to do something like that, but I tend to beleive these people. My rotten younger sister comes back 99% of the time cavity free. I cheer in the dentist office whne I hear she has to come back a second time [​IMG].

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

14. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I remember reading a study where dentists had the highest suicide rate of all the health care professionals. The premise was that the high rate was caused by depression. It seems that the dentists picked up on how much their patients feared and loathed their visits, and it contributed to a sense of negative self-worth.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?"

15. Kevin_Spradley

Kevin_Spradley Stunt Coordinator

After reading all of these post, I think I might have been taken.. I had five fillings put in Monday and back in late August, I had 4 put in. I did go a while without going to the dentist, but I couldnt imagine this many. I didnt even think about a second opinion. But anyway, once the drilling is done, there is no way to know. Since insurance doesnt pay all of it, I have had to pay almost $400 dollars out of pocket. Be careful.

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

if the work is good kevin, no price is too much.
    would you rather pay 150$ and have to go back when a filling cracks or something?

17. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Wow, I'm surprised by all these posts about cavities. I'm an oddball: used to have lots of cavities as a kid, now I haven't had almost any since I've been an adult. I brush with a sonicare and floss once a day, so maybe that has something to do with it.
    One secret tip I have discovered that is a great help is to get your teeth sealed every 5 years or so. It sounds crazy, but when I had braces as a kid they put sealant on my teeth. Dispite very bad teeth care, I was cavity free the whole 2.5 years I had braces. So now I go in and ask them to do it every couple of years (costs me maybe $120.) It's just like the polishing they do after they clean your teeth, only it is a sealant that acts like an extra layer of enamel.
    I haven't had a real cavity in over 10 years now. I had two tiny ones filled a year ago when my dentist retired, but they had been in there for 11 years and he just wanted to wrap up any loose ends when he left the practice. I think he always wanted to fill em but since they never got bigger than pinholes, he couldn't justify it to himself [​IMG]
    Look into it: sealant for your teeth.

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

joe- my molars were sealed with a hard, white kinda stuff that's permenant, I think it's the same stuff that they fill cavities with now? no problems.
    does the stuff you get seal ALL your teeth then? I dind't know they could do that

19. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Phil,
    I believe you are right, it only is out on the top of your molars (the part that grinds and chews) because that's where 80% of all cavities start. I thought it was clear, but it could be white, I can't tell once it is on my teeth [​IMG]
    Yes, sounds like you had the sealant applied too, great stuff and you don't even notice after it is applied.

20. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Anti-dentites!!! [​IMG]