Visiting U.S. with a record

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BradK, Jul 30, 2002.

1. BradK

BradK Stunt Coordinator

This might be more directed at Canadians and others not living in the U.S.
    As a dumb teenager/young adult, I was convicted of dui(1986), marijuana possesion(1989), and dui once again in 1990. Can anyone tell me what effect these charges have on me entering the States? What can I do if these will prevent me from entering, such as pardons, etc. I'm not looking to immigrate or anything, just visiting. Am I outta luck?
    Thanks for help.

2. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

After 12 years I believe you can get a pardon and all these charges removed from your record, the most serious in this case being the marijuana charge. Otherwise they will not let you cross the US border. Call Canada Customs and ask them. A year ago, one of our employees got turned back at the border because his record wasn't actually cleared, even though it had been more than 12 years since his offence, a judge has to write the pardon too I think.

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I somehow managed to get through my badly mismanaged youth with a single OWI. I've crossed the border in Detroit/Windsor many times before and since. Customs takes a peek at my license plate, asks my citizenship and waves me on. A proof of citizenship (passport, birth certificate, voter registration) might be requested once in a blue moon. Other than that they've never even asked my name, much less if I've ever been convicted of anything.

4. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

You'll get in no problem.

5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Buzz, it's pretty much the same guidelines going from Canada to the USA. The only difference is that the USA now has a very tough zero-tolerance policy. Any signs of drugs in the vehicle, the car is impounded and you're banned from entering the US for I believe five years. Same thing goes if you try to mislead the customs agents at airports.
    I have no prior convictions so crossing the border is no problem for me although it was funny how one Canadian customs agent tried to trip me up by speaking French. [​IMG]
    Best policy: be honest and straightforward. Don't try to hide anything. Customs agents on both sides of the border can easily detect when something's not right! And for those with minor convictions, do contact the foreign country's embassy or consulate and ask them what needs to be done.
    When I think about this, it's surprising how both our countries cooperate so much on our borders. At some border crossings, Canadian and US agents share the same building. For convenience sake, US customs agents are stationed at Canadian airports so that US bound travelers can be checked before they even get on the plane. There's even been incidents where both Canadian and US border guards worked together to prevent someone from forcibly crossing the border, going as far as one group of agents crossing the borderline to assist the agents on the other side!
    How many other countries have had this level of cooperation for so long? Not that many from what I know...

6. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Upon further review, it appears that I've been lucky, and that I should look into filing some paperwork.

Thanks all for the heads up.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

8. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

9. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

10. Micah Lloyd

Micah Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

When I crossed into Canada, I learned that they have instant access to the U.S.'s FBI files/database. He asked the oh-so-innocent question, "have you ever been fingerprinted?" He had a sense of humor, and accepted my answer, "yes I had" and, "no I couldn't tell him why."

I wonder if there's reciprocation with Canada's Internal Security database (I don't even know what to call it).

11. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

12. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Now, what about an American with a misdemeanor conviction going to someplace like Italy for vacation.... anyone know if that would prevent them from getting in the country?

13. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

Why am I suprised this thread hasn't turned into a marijuana debate?!? Is this thread an attempt to ban all members who have criminal records by luring them in?[​IMG]