Visiting New Orleans

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DonRoeber, Nov 1, 2003.

1. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

My wife and I are going to New Orleans this coming wednesday for a week. She'll be attending a conference, so I'll have the days and some evenings to myself. So, what's fun to do? I'm happy doing the touristy stuff. I'm interested in checking out some voodoo and graveyard stuff, as well as some architecture. While I enjoy a good drink every once and awhile, I'm not into bar crawls and stuff like that.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Be sure to eat....eat often and at as many places as you can (crawfish etoufee' is my favorite). The food is great. Go walk through the French Quarter and check out Bourbon Street. New Orleans has nice archetecture, many old buildings and homes with lots of 100+ year old oak trees. Uptown is a nice area of homes. I'm sure you and your wife would enjoy Bourbon Street in the evening, walking around, having a drink and seeing the people and listening to the music. They definately have some characters in New Orleans! You'll see mimes, street performers tapping, playing music, etc. There's lots of live music in New Orleans. You'll hear Jazz blaring out of many places. If you have a drink, you can walk in the street with your drink so you won't feel like you have to stay in one place because you haven't finished your drink. If you're not much of a drinker, you can go to Cafe Du Monde and eat some Begniets and have some coffee. If you're a gambler you can go to Harrah's in the Riverwalk area and try your luck. I'm sure others will chime in with things I forgot. It's definately a fun place. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion when you get back.

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i'll second cafe du monde (on decatur street if i'm not mistaken). st. catherine cathedral is across the road from it so you can have a lovely view while eating your beignets. one drink / bar i can whole heartedly recommend is the hand grenade from the tropical isle at the corner of toulouise and bourbon. i drank so many of those damn things during mardi gras i'm suprised i'm not dead. i can't really suggest anything to do touristy wise as i usually go to new orleans for concerts and to have a few drinks. also, the house of blues is well within walking distance of all these suggestions so you might be able to catch a show while you're in town. have fun. laissez les bon temps rouler!!!

kevin t

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

5. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

I live/work here in the city...all of the above are great suggestions...

Some of the more interesting things you probably shouldn't miss:

'Port O Call' for the best burger in New Orleans (on Esplanade, the outskirts of the Quarter)

Take a Swamp Tour...only 15-30 minutes from the city...you will feel like you are in a different country.

The 'Aquarium of the Americas' is a must see.

Also, in the Quarter most nights are 'Ghost Tours'. Walking groups with guides that are colorful, to say the least, but the tours are interesting, especially since New Orleans is steeped in religious history.

Any of Emeril's places are good (Emeril's, NOLA, and Delmonico's), Pacual's Manale, Charlie's Steakhouse, Brennan's. For seafood, it's a cab ride to Bucktown...R&O's, Brunnings, and Deanie's are were we eat.

If you are in the Convention Center, give me a call @ Ext 3018 and I can point you in the right direction to some of these things...New Orleans is not physically a big town, getting around is easy.

Thanks
    TimK

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

7. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

I second, third and fourth Tim's suggestion for Port of Call. Not only is it the best burger in New Orleans, it's the best burger anywhere. I don't know what they do to that beef, but they throw a ridiculous amount of it on the bun, and yet it melts away in your mouth like ambrosia and you don't feel full.

I wasn't happy with Arnaud's. I was happy with Emeril's, and from the research I conducted, Galatoire's would be a good bet (a friend made my group choose Arnaud's over Galatoire's and we were very disappointed).

8. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

I've been to New Orleans three times and can give the following suggestions.

If you're wanting to check out one of the graveyards take it on an organized tour. Many of them are in not the best of neighborhoods. (I've lived in some rough neighborhoods here in St. Louis and N.O. has some places I wouldn't venture into.)

Feelings Cafe has to be one of the best meals I've ever had.

Check out "The Dungeon" at 738 Toulose. It doesn't open until Midnight and is a wild place. Very different than all the other French Quarter tourist traps.http://www.originaldungeon.com/enter.html

Most tourist traps water down their drinks. But every time I've had Hurricanes at Pat O'Briens: I've ended up in bad shape the next day.

Another cool bar is the Saturn Bar: I'm 99% sure it's on St. Claude (How can you forget a street named like that?)

Do not wear you good shoes when walking the Quarter; they will get ruined. (Especially true during Mardi Gras and JazzFest.) Find an older pair that are still comfortable.

Never, ever, ever take a leak on the street. You can do pretty much do anything but that's the fastest way to get arrested or at least ticketed.

Take the trolley to the Garden district and walk around.

I love New Orleans since it seams to be the least American city in the U.S.. I don't mean that in a bad way; it just it's own unique feeling and vibe. Make sure to take as much in as you can.

9. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

A great place to get some seafood on Bourbon Street is Mike Anderson's, right next door to Galatoire's. They have a big seafood platter for about $18 that comes loaded with everything you could thing of: oysters, shrimp, fish, scallops, stuffed crab, the works!

Of course, Galatoire's is really fine dining, serious 5-star dining, and you can't get in unless you wear a coat and tie.

And if you like good oysters by themselves, go on down the street a little bit to Acme Oyster House. They're great.

As for Pat O'Brien's, just going in, going to the center of Pat O's, then turning around and leaving, that's all that you really need to do, just to say that you've been there. [​IMG]

I agree, beignets and coffee at Cafe Du Monde in the Quarter is a must! Forget the other little places, there's only one Cafe Du Monde.

If you like some good fudge, go over to the Jax Brewery. It used to be an old beer factory where they made Jax Beer, now it's a shopping mall. There's a place there, the Fudgery, I think it's called, where the guys there will put on a good show in making the fudge for everyone. And if you get a nice little hunk of fudge, that'll keep you going for a whole week - unless you have a serious sweet tooth and have to eat it all in less time than that! [​IMG]

Go by the St. Louis Cathedral to check the place out. Pope John Paul II held a service there when he was in the U.S. back in 1987. My mother and a couple of friends and I had the chance to see him when he came to New Orleans back in '87, he had a larger mass at the University of New Orleans. It was rainy, wet, muggy, but I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

And Jackson Square is really great to see all sorts of foods, clothes, etc. I remember getting some faux designer cologne there about 12 or 13 years ago, and the girl who sold it to me (she was cute, too!) gave me her phone number. Too bad I don't have it anymore.

Is the House of Blues still down there? That would be a good place to check out if you like good blues music. And the little mini ampitheatre in the Quarter is a great place to watch a street show.

And if you're lucky, you may be able to find the Olde Absinthe House, if it's still there. I'm thinking there's another restaurant in its place, but the building is still there, IIRC. There's some classic stories about the late John Matuszak partying too hardy at the Olde Absinthe House.

If you're into history, check out some of the places in the business district where Oliver Stone filmed JFK there, particularly the government buildings. You should be able to find them pretty easily.

Have fun, and bring us all back some beignets! [​IMG]

10. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

I third "Port-O-Call". Great googley moogley they got some fine burgers [​IMG]

Keep repeating to yourself.."I got them on my feet" and be sure to share this lovely phrase w/anyone who asks [​IMG]

Todd B

11. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Another vote for Mike Andersons. It was really good.

We ate at Nola, which is one of Emeril's restraunts. It was also very good.

Don't forget about the 3 for 1 bottles of beer. Find a balcony, buy a beer, and wait till after 10:00 p.m. The fun should begin.

Also, the dualing piano bars were alot of fun.

And lastly, don't forget. You can walk one block too far on Bourbon, and end up in a whole different lifestyle area.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

12. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

The only weird thing about New Orleans, other than the typical looniness, is that when you're there, everything feels off by about two hours. Don't know why, it just does! [​IMG]

13. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer