Visiting Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Hollywood

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Movies, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

Hi Everyone,
    A short film I directed is going to be premiering at the Palm Springs International Festival of Short Films (www.psfilmfest.org) in Palm Springs California.
    I live in Toronto, Canada, and I've never been to California before. (I've been to Las Vegas, and I loved the palm trees and hot weather!) Does anyone have any tips on what to see, where to go, etc? I'm going to spend two days in Palm Springs and two days in Los Angeles and surrounding areas.
    I'm going to rent a car, and I'd really like to rent a convertible, but that seems like a problem. I'm 22 years old, and you apparently need to be 25 before they'll let you take a convertible. Does anyone know a way around this? Is it possible to fully enjoy California without a convertible? [​IMG]
    I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on anything, including what hotels to stay at in both places, and where to stay away from, what to do, anything! I'm really excited about screening my movie in California!
    Bob

2. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

3. Bob Movies

Hi Julie,

I never really considered that "practical" take on things. Maybe my dream of the convertible will have to wait...

Bob

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Good luck. The last time I was in Palm Springs a few years ago at the beginning of August, it seemed that half the businesses in town had closed for vacation. Too hot even for them.

5. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

It's been getting really hot here lately, so I'd advise on renting a car with AC.

I hope your film does well in the festival.

~T

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Avoid the tourist traps (i.e., the new Hollywood & Highland Entertainment Complex, Anaheim's wretched theme park anchored around that damn mouse, Hollywood Boulevard's myriad trinket/beeper/3-T-shirts-for-$9 shops, and all the other crap.

Check out the real Los Angeles. If you'd like more information, send me a PM and I will give you all sorts of suggestions.

7. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

8. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

I surprised about the convertible rule. My first job out of college was at a rental car company and I don't remember anything like that. Worst case scenario they might make you buy their insurance ($11/day?) and that's all. I'd try calling more rental car companies if you really want one.
    If the man wants a convertible, then he should have one![​IMG]

9. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    This is not a California Law, but an internal policy with most rental car companies. They rent to anyone over 21 (with proper insurance and major credit card of course). The 25 rule of convertibles is just an internal policy to reduce liability. This might even be stricter in Palm Springs for as many people go there to party(?speculation).
    I have seen this rule bent in some case, call around, explain your situation, sound mature blah, blah.
    Good Luck

10. Bob Movies

I went to Las Vegas last summer, and I endured the 110 degree heat, so hopefully I'll be able to handle it. I actually found the Vegas heat much more bearable than the weather here in Toronto, because of the dryness. They're not joking when they say "it's the humidity"!

Considering that the convertible will end up costing me more than twice as much ($311 as opposed to $152 for a regular car)

Do you need to request air conditioning on a rental car? I thought that all cars had air conditioning these days! It seems like it would be required in California.

As far as my hotel goes, it's a toss up between these two:

Checkers Wyndham Hotel
    535 South Grand Avenue
    Los Angeles

Belage Wyndham Hotel
    1020 North San Vicente Blvd
    West Hollywood

I work as an editor (part time, I'm still a university student) for a company that does a lot of business with hotel chains, and they get a great discount at Wyndham properties.

Does anyone have any comments about which hotel is in a better area? More central to the good sites to see?

Thanks everyone for your help! I love this forum!

Bob

11. Bob Movies

Just an update on the trip,

We're flying into palm springs on Wednesday Morning, and picking up our (non convertible) rental car. I decided against it, after the air conditioning advice given on this forum.

We'll be in Palm Springs for 2 days, for the film festival. My movie is playing on Wednesday Afternoon in the "Something Completely Different" category, so I'm very excited about that! This will also be a chance to see about 80 other short films, so it should be quite exciting and educational.

On Friday morning we're leaving for Hollywood / Beverly Hills. We've got lunch reservations at Spago, and then we're checking into the hotel. It's the Ramada Plaza Hotel & Suites, in West Hollywood, at:

8585 Santa Monica Blvd
    West Hollywood, CA 90069

After that, we're going on the Warner Bros Studio tour. When that's finished I'd really like to eat at an in-n-out burger, since that was my one regret from Las Vegas and then we're going to check out signs at Mann's Chinese Theater.

I don't know what's up for Saturday yet, but I think we're going to do "hollywood" things, like seeing the walk of fame, seeing the sign, driving to the big houses in Beverly Hills (we might do that Friday before the movie if it's still light out) goign to Frederick's, and Rodeo Drive, etc.

Can anyone suggest some must-see attractions in Hollywood for our day 2? I think that we're goign to eat at Roscoe's at some point during the day

On the final day we're going to leave early and go to Venice Beach before we head to the airport. We have to go to a beach when we're in California!

Again, I'd appreciate any suggestions / tips that anyone has on what to do for our second day, and any other "Can't miss" attractions.

Thanks!

Bob

12. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Almost every rental car company will charge you a $20-$30 fee for your age (I'm 23, I should know...)
    That said, I've rented a convertible Mustang (in LA, nonetheless!) and an Eclipse Spyder GT.
    With everything the Eclipse cost over $100/day (I'm not kidding, and yes, work paid for it.) The Mustang was under $50/day (including insurance), since my friend showed his business card, and it was at his company's 'preferred rental agency', which means they will waive the extra fee for under 25.
    It was in the 90's when I had the Eclipse a few of the days, it go hot, but it was a lot of fun.
    Renting a convertible shouldn't be any problem for the age, but renting a car in general can be. Someone mentioned worse case scenario that they make you pay for their insurance. Know that many insurance companies rental polices specifically exclude rented convertibles, so call your agent or company if you do rent one!
    I rented the Eclipse from Budget, and the Mustang from Hertz.
    Regardless, have fun. And go to the Hard Rock Cafe @ Universal and look for the waitress in my sig. [​IMG]

13. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I would say scrap the convertible if you're in Palm Springs. I was there in early June and it was -very- hot by the time noon rolled around.

If you want to go to the beach consider going to one further south, like Manhattan/Redondo Beach. Or even further south to Huntington Beach.

14. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I just came back from a vacation in L.A. I rented a covertable (Mits Spider Eclipse) and my thought on the car can be read at HTT in the playground section. As far as Hollywood, I thing you pretty much have the idea. It was kind of seedy IMO. You should try to catch a taping of a TV show or game show. The new $100,000 pyrimad seemed nice. Before you head to LA, you should go through the Joshua Tree National Park, since you will be so close. Venice Beach was neat - the beach and the vendors along the walkway. Warner Bros tour was very good and is regarded as the best studio tour. We caught a glimps of Noah Wile (sp?) between takes. The only thing I didn't like about the tour was we were not aloud to use our cameras until the very end. You should enjoy Spagos - although I didn't do there I ate at Wolfgand Puck's cheaper restaurant, Cafe. We spent a whole day driving up the coast (PCH) and went to a little town called Solvang. It is just through the mountains once you get to Santa Barbara. Neat little Danish village with good Danish Bakeries and museums. Speaking of museums, The Getty Museum in L.A. is incredible. Have fun!