Visiting Baltimore/Washington DC in August: Need suggestions

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Shane Martin, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

We're planning on visiting the nations capitol and Baltimore in August. I already have a ticket to a day game at Camden Yards so I'll likely hit up the Aquarium and do some shopping prior to the game and eat dinner after.

As far as DC, we won't have a car so we'll be relegated to using the metro system. I've heard it's as good as Chicago's or NYC so I should be ok there.

Given we won't have alot of time, what are the must see's for a first timer?

How about food suggestions in a reasonable price range? Looking at various places it appears it's not cheap to eat in the nations capitol in downtown. I'm looking for more ~$40 for dinner for 2 type places and decent places for breakfast and lunch. Places we don't get in Oklahoma would be nice. We're not what we call adventurous eaters so keep that in mind. No asian food period(PF changs is as far as I go).

Suggest away. I appreciate any help I can get.

2. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Smithsonian Air And Space, Natural History, American History. The National Zoo if you want to see the pandas (need to get tickets). They're all accessible via the Metro. http://www.smithsonian.org/ Also nearby are the Washington Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, the Capitol Building, the White House, Arlington National Cemetary. There's also the US Holocaust Memorial Museum http://www.ushmm.org/ and the International Spy Museum http://www.spymuseum.org/siteintro.asp. You probably won't have time to see everything though.

A few blocks north is the MCI Center and the Washington Convention Center. Heres a list of restaurants in that area. http://www.dcconvention.com/attendees/restaurants.asp

And please don't confuse PF Chang's with Chinese food. It isn't. You don't know what you're missing. [​IMG]

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The scenic dining terrace in Hotel Washington is a must. Get a simple dessert or appetizer and enjoy the view.

For dinner you won't have a hard time finding places to eat, just like any major city. My favorite spots are on the Georgetown Waterfront and Old Town Alexandria (King St. stop on the metro), but they do get pricey. If you're looking for a quick & cheap lunch, and are in the presence of a Potbelly's, look no further and get The Wreck. [​IMG]

Chinatown has a buncha good dining spots if in that area: Zaytinya's, La Tosca, Tony Cheng's, Chopsticks...

For attractions, Air & Space Museum is first on my list, I still love going there. Washington monument is close by, but there's a new ticket system now and you have to get there early to score some. The new WWII memorial next, then follow the reflecting pool to the Lincoln Memorial. The Vietnam & Korean War mem's are on either side here. Put the Capitol building on your list too.

The Paddle Boats on the Tidal Basin are tricky to get to for out of towners, but it's well worth it. Scenic fun in calm waters. The Jefferson Memorial is right there as well.

Don't know how you're getting from Baltimore to DC but in case you didn't know this area's traffic is one of the worst in the nation. I think the MARC train system goes back & forth between Balt & Union Station so that's an alternative.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

God, no, not the paddleboats on the tidal basin. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Don't waste your time.

If you only have a day or so in Washington, I recommend walking on the National Mall and maybe the tidal basin. All the great Smithsonians are there, the Washington Monument, the new WWII memorial, the Lincoln memorial. Just stroll up and down the Mall. Off the mall a few blocks is the tidal basin with the Jefferson Memorial, up the Potomac is the FDR memorial, very well executed. Make sure you have good walking shoes.

For a reasonable lunch or dinner, go to the Old Ebbit Grille. It's a Washington Landmark.

You should be able to take either the MARC Camden Line or Amtrak from downtown Baltimore to Washington Union Station. And from Union Station to Smithsonian on Metro is a short trip.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

haha last time I actually went to the paddle boats was in the early 90s, and I enjoyed it. From your review I guess the experience has changed. [​IMG]

6. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Agree about the paddleboats. [​IMG]

And I did that in the 70's. [​IMG]

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

We will be driving from DC up to Baltimore so no need for the amtrak or anything. We won't have a car while in DC though. I can't imagine parking there.

Old Ebbet Grille was a place I saw recommended. It's good to see others recommend it too. The prices seem quite nice compared to other restaurants.

Further suggestions are welcome. The metro will get used alot [​IMG]

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    D.C. in August? Plan on staying inside a lot. Go nowhere that isn't air conditioned. You do realize the place was built over a swamp and that government workers who had to work through the summers used to receive hazard pay, don't you? I've been living in Florida for almost 20 years and when I think about heat and humidity, I think about D.C. in August. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Oklahoma in August is just as bad.