Vision Signature Monitors finished!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GeorgeHolland, Oct 1, 2001.

1. GeorgeHolland

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/georgehol...Photos&.view=t
    This Sunday I finally finished building a pair of North Creek Music’s Vision Signature speakers. I have hooked them up and started to play music, which I plan on doing for a couple of days to break them in. I will then work on finding the optimum room placement and calibrate the subwoofer crossover and level. Then I can begin to evaluate the quality of the speakers, assuming I assembled them correctly. I’ll let you know what I think.
    George.
    “July 2001 marked the release of the new Vision Signature monitor loudspeaker, after 18 months in the lab. The Vision Signature is based on new technology developed here (MAPD loading), offers high sensitivity, a nearly flat impedance curve (a perfect mate for SET amplifiers), very easy to drive, magnetically shielded, smooth and incredibly dynamic. It is the best product this company has ever produced and quite possibly the most musically natural loudspeaker ever made. It may even be the world's first "perfect" loudspeaker.” From http://www.northcreekmusic.com

2. Brian Steeves

Brian Steeves Second Unit

George,
    WOW! Those are some beautiful looking speakers! Great job! [​IMG]
    I wish I could afford to build a pair to see if I liked them or not.
    Can't wait to hear what you think of them.
    ------------------
    BPS Designs Home Page

3. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

HOLY MOLY!
    very nice. we are not worthy.

4. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

Question. Are the flat surfaces of your speakers oak laminated over MDF with solid oak corner pieces that have the roundover effect? It looks that way in the two unfinished pictures. It is a very nice look.
    How complicated is that from a wood working perspective? The end result is something you should really be proud of.
    Thanks
    Robin Smith

5. GeorgeHolland

Thank you for the comments.
    Robin,
    The sides are ¼” oak plywood, the top is 3/4" thick solid oak, and the fascia is a 1 1/2" thick piece of solid Red Oak. The sides and top are glued to MDF and the front or fascia is glued to 3/4" Baltic Birch. The rounded front edges are routed with a 1" round over bit. The double flair required to provide breathing room for the large mid woofer magnet was the most difficult from a woodworking perspective, but once I visualized how to do it with a 1 ½” piece of oak, I was able to route the four separate passes required for the fascia woofer cutout.
    George

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Simply stunning. Beautiful work. If they sound half as good as they look you'll be giddy.
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub

7. Kevin Liedtke

Excelent work George! Those are beautiful. How long did it take you to make those?

8. GeorgeHolland

How long did they take?
    I think I bought the wood back in late April, but then decided to build the Leviathan Subwoofer first to get a little woodworking experience. I believe it was the beginning of August when I actually started building the Visions, so that would be approximately two months.
    George

9. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

George, your woodworking experience paid off - beautiful job! I hope they are a sonic as well as esthetic success. Tell us more about Northcreek's jargon - what's new about the design?
    ------------------
    "Do you expect me to talk?"
    "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

The MAPD loading sounds a lot like the design of ACI's Opal towers which have been around for about 2 years. The have an 8" driver in a sealed enclosure. The bracing creates different chambers within the enclosure. The top chamber where the 8" driver resides is surrounded by 2" thick acoustic foam and then is stuffed with a roll of poly batting that extends into the lower chambers. According to Mike Dzurko of ACI, this creates a pressure release which gives the Opal much deeper extension than a normal sealed enclosure (similar to a ported enclosure) while having superior transient response. I can tell you from building a pair of Opals that the design seems to work quite well.
    I'm not sure if the MAPD loading is the same thing or if there's more to it than that, but it does sound very interesting.
    Brian

11. GeorgeHolland

Hank,
    MAPD stands for Multichamber Aperiodic Progressive Damping. If you look at the picture on my Yahoo photos titled “Vision Back access panels”, you can see the scan Vent that provides the aperiodic damping between the first, smaller enclosure into the second larger enclosure. There is a white paper on the North Creek Web page that explains this concept in greater detail.
    http://www.northcreekmusic.com/MAPD1.htm
    “The loading technique has the advantages of both simple Acoustic Suspension loading and the Aperiodically Damped loading techniques, without the disadvantage of either.” (from George Short’s White paper)

12. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Thanks George, I read the white paper yesterday. It's seems similar to part of the Opal towers' design. Enjoy!
    Also, please give us a review after they're broken in.
    ------------------
    "Do you expect me to talk?"
    "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"
    [Edited last by Hank Frankenberg on October 04, 2001 at 07:49 AM]