Viruses/Worms/Spyware

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Todd H, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Yesterday while cleaning a co-worker's home PC (something that seems to have become my second career lately), I managed to find over 50 viruses, numerous worms, and well over 200 pieces of spyware/adware installed. The computer was almost unresponsive. For me that was a record, as the previous high was around 120 pieces of spyware on my brother-in-law's PC. While I hate this sort of thing, I do have to admit that I'm making a lot of extra cash on the side cleaning this mess off. Anybody else in the same position? And is it just me or is it getting worse?

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Yes it definately seems to be getting worse. . . I managed to catch a virus that infected every .exe file on my computer. Looked like my computer's virus scanner was one step behind.

*sigh* hopelly things get better in time.

3. Matt`G

Matt`G Agent

Todd, I am right there with you on that. This stuff is definitely getting worse. I spent last weekend cleaning up virii, adware, spyware from a coworker's home computer. It was also almost unusable... some piece of malware even went as far as to edit the windows HOSTS file to change DNS locations! This stuff is definitely getting worse.

I will try googling for this right now... but does anyone know of a program that watches registry for changes to certain keys/values, and prompts user whether or not to allow changes? This might come in handy since most of this malware infests itself into either/both of localmachine/currentuser's "Run" key in registry, in order to start itself on bootup. Plus others will change keys/values related to IE. Sorry for tangent, just thinking aloud [​IMG]

You are right, the extra money is nice... but it really puts me in a bad mood. It seems I have to do this every 6 months or sooner for this guy, so I just feel bad for him. I still charge him, of course (hey, I still value my time!) but it's sad that this happens. I warn them not to click on popups, only download things they need, or from reputable source, and don't click email attachments unless they are expecting them. It just doesn't seem to make a difference. I put Mozilla Firefox on for them to use instead of Internet Explorer, so hopefully that will help.

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Make life easier for yourselves. Stop using Internet Explorer.

5. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

6. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    ^that looks good, thanks for the link!

-Christian

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I remembered this thread earlier when working on a friend's computer and just had to rehash it. I was with my fiancee visiting her cousins and aunt and uncle. Her cousin (who turned 16 today) downloads lots of games and other crap. She also downloads lots of plug-ins and accesories for AOL IM because apparently that's what 16 year old girls are into these days. So, I ran Adaware on there computer and, I kid you not, came back with 1,609 pieces of spy/adware. Before that the most I'd ever seen was a little over 100 on my parents computer. I run it weekly and usually only have 1 or 2 pieces. I thought 1609 was impressive enough to share with everyone though.

8. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd

After doing a good cleaning, I always install Mozilla Firefox and show the user how to use it. You'd be amazed at how many of them comment to me later about how much more enjoyable web browsing has become.

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Todd, I initially resisted anything except IE, but once I got used to how Firefox works I now hate using anything else.

It just makes using the web a nicer experience.