Virus?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Camp, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I've been getting intermittantly sluggish performance recently.

A few programs (not all though) have been acting particularly odd: they appear to stall or freeze for a few seconds. I can move the mouse but it has no response on the PC. It "feels" like the CPU is really busy (as opposed to "feeling" like something is blocking my mouse clicks).

I opened Windows Task Manager (XP Home) and clicked on the Processes tab to see if anything unusual would jump out at me. At the bottom of the list is an item called "System Idle Process" and under the "CPU" column it shows this item jumping between 90 and 99. I'm assuming this column is intended to display CPU utilization. If, so this is indeed alarming. Attempts to end this process are fruitless.

One oddity is that the "Performance" tab displays CPU Usage via a chart. While the "System Idle Process" is showing CPU usage in the 90's this chart is showing normal numbers (5%, 1%, whatever).

Any idea what's going on? Is it a virus of some type?

Thanks in advance,

-Camp

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

System Idle Process is supposed to be there, and a CPU value of 99 is completely normal. It means your computer's processor is 99% idle.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Ok, thanks. That's comforting. Guess I overlooked that being there in the past. Oh, well...got to figure out what this slow down is...

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

A recent MS security update slowed down a lot of machines, but their latest one seemed to correct it, at least for me. So you might want to check that out.

As for not having any virus software, shame, shame! [​IMG]

Glenn

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

It's pretty much a game-only system...I don't like stuff to eat resources.