What's new

Virus scanner...which one? My Norton doesn't work in Win2K (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hello,

Wow, the joys of upgrading to a new OS and the joys of software incompatibility.

I have a retail version of Norton Antivirus that I bought some time ago with my old computer(P166MMX). Anyways, since then I've upgraded computers, and I have just now upgraded from Win98 to Win2K. Luckily all my hardware was supported, but a few software apps weren't(see my other thread about burning software).

So, my copy of Norton Antivirus doesn't work in Win2K. What would everyone recommend I do? Go out and buy a newer verison, buy a scanner from another company, use AVG the free virus scanner? As of right now, I've just been using PC-Cillin an online virus scanner, but I really would like to have a permanent solution.

So, what does everyone recommend?

Thanks.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Norton Anti-Virus 2001 works fine in W2K and has more features than the one you're using now. There's a 2002 version out too but I don't know what the differences are.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Andy, I'd go with Norton, but get the new version 2002, as it works with ME and both versions of XP that are out now. There is a great package deal out for their System Works that includes the firewall program as well.

Norton is pretty slick with all of their versions that are out. I picked up the MS 2k server last year and rudely found out that even though the version of Norton that I had said it would with 2k on the outside of the box, the instructions inside specified 2k Pro only.

Call me a dummy but they did do that deliberately. Adding 'Pro' to the front of the box would not have set them into a financial rut.

Glenn

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I've been using Norton Antivirus ever since version 1.0 for Windows 95 and I still think it's the best one out there. The only real advantage of the 2002 version over the 2001 is Windows XP compatibility. They made the GUI ugly in the 2002 version though (it's got this ugly yellow theme to it, yeck! :rolleyes:) Also, the 2002 version defaults to "repair automatically" to make it more user transparent (if it finds a virus, it'll fix it and not even tell you in many cases). I prefer to know when I get a virus, but it can be set to do that too.
If you're planning on upgrading to XP, get the 2002 version. If not, maybe you can find a discounted copy of the 2001 version somewhere. It's got the same capabilities in terms of virus protection but without the ugly yellow GUI.
Also, if you need a firewall program (if you're on a broadband internet connection, you do!!), Norton Internet Security combines the firewall and anti-virus into a single package deal.
KJP:rolleyes

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Is Norton a resource hog? I am trying to eliminate as many TSRs (Terminate and Stay Resident) as possible. Is McAffee a good alternative?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Norton AntiVirus isn't very hard on resources. I've never noticed it slow down my PC, but of course if you're running on a 133 MHz Pentium with 32 MB RAM, you might have problems. If you're really concerned about performance you don't have to load the AutoProtect piece, but it does give you "real time" virus protection.

NAV 2002, even without AutoProtect turned on, can still scan email attachments and Word documents when they are opened, using plugins. Anything else would have to be scanned manually though unless you use the AutoProtect.

"TSRs" don't cause the issues they used to in the DOS days.

I don't care much for McAfee--it is much more difficult to keep up to date than Norton. Engine updates have to be downloaded separately from definition updates, and you have to reboot everytime you update. With Norton, you just download the update and run it, or launch LiveUpdate, and you're done. Engine and virus definition updates don't require a reboot, but if there are other updates (patches to the software), it'll ask to reboot for those.

KJP

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Well, looks like I'll be going out and buying Norton Antivirus 2002 then.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks