Virus, or just Norton

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Jul 4, 2000
    So I get this email from a friend saying that he's in the process of downloading a Playstation 2 emulator, and that I should check it out. Now I know for a fact that there's no such animal, especially since none of the major emulation sites even mention it. Curiosity gets the better of me, and I grab the file just to see if there's any documentation or a contact webpage-maybe it's actually a work in progress. So I run the file, and it loos like an emulator, except that the name registers as "efakemulator"....

This sets off all sorts of warning sirens in my head, and I proceed to run Norton. Sure enough, it says that my master boot record has been altered, and would I like to replace it with the backup. I say "Sure!", do it, and then reboot thinking that I caught the problem before it happened. Sure enough, the "Invalid system disc" message pops up.

Pop in a system disc...nothing. Bunch of random ASCII characters where there should be directory names, and a bunch of data gone. After numerous attempts at recovery, I just wrote everything off and started from scratch with a new OS (see me other thread on that one...). To top it all off, my DVD rom drive decided to stop recognizing discs, so I have to install everything off of my 8x read burner...

I guess my question is, has anyone ever heard of a virus that does this, or was Norton 2000 what destroyed everything.
  2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Aug 17, 1998
    Viruses have been affecting the MBR since viruses have been in existance. Who knows what it was trying to do. Ugh, I bet quite a few people have been caught by it though. Downloading pirate software from the web (and something marked as a PS2 emulator would definitely fall into that category) is fraught with risks. Avoid, avoid, avoid, unless reinstalling your OS is a hobby.

Norton AV is usually pretty good at clearing up the mess after it detects a virus. It's difficult to comment on how your MBR became unusable without knowing all the details, but it's a moot point now anyway.

On a side note, I used to know someone who would download a lot of cracked software. He ended up with his machine being hacked to bits, losing lots of work, business files and potentially incriminating material (no, I wont elaborate on that one). He thinks the hack originated from the site where he used to download the software. What a surprise.