What's new

virus hoax (1 Viewer)

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i got an email from a relative telling me that they have a virus on their machine and it sends itself out to all email addresses in their address book. the email tells you to do a search for a certain file and that this file is a virus that Norton and McAfee don't detect, then gives instructions on how to delete the "virus" off your machine. trouble is, the file turns out to be a Windows system file and if you delete it then some functions of IE don't work. it's made all the more believable since the icon for the file is a teddy bear. the IT manager for the company i work for has confirmed that this file is not a virus.

file name is jdbgmgr.exe

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Right-Clicking it -> Properties revealed it's "Micro$oft® Debugger Registrar for Java" So a legit file.

That's a new type of e-mail viruses, make people believe that a certain file is a virus, make them believe it should be deleted and their PC is toast!

The universal principal of e-mail viruses still apply, only a dumbass would be infected because:

1. He would run the attachment because the message says so.
2. He runs an e-mail program that has security flaws that would make an attachment run by itself.
3. Make him believe that a vital file should be removed form his hard disk.

The stupidest form of chain-mailing since that petition to ban Hydrogen-Dioxide claiming it's a dangerous chemical and stuff when in fact it's just a fancy word for WATER!!!

Kevin P

Screenwriter
file name is jdbgmgr.exe
There's one thing to watch out for with this hoax, however. If you find this file in your Windows System folder, it is legitimate and should not be deleted. HOWEVER, if you receive this file as an email attachment, it is probably infected with a virus and the email and its attachment should be deleted.

Two viruses, Magistr and Efortune, have been known to target the jdbgmgr.exe and email out an infected version of it. Magistr in particular is very common and one of my coworkers actually received an infected copy of, get this, jdbgmgr.exe, a few weeks before the hoax appeared.

Chances are this hoax appeared because someone received an infected copy of this file and assumed all copies are infected.

KJP

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
the email tells you to do a search for a certain file and that this file is a virus that Norton and McAfee don't detect, then gives instructions on how to delete the "virus" off your machine.
Sheesh.. how lame.. they couldn't come up with a real virus?

Brett_H

Second Unit
You have just received the Amish virus. Because we don't have any computers, or programming experience, this virus works on the honor system. Please delete all the files from your hard drive and manually forward this virus to everyone on your mailing list. Thank you for your cooperation.
{My apologies to any Amish that might read this, although to be honest if you're reading this and you're Amish, well....}

-Brett.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
You have just received the Amish virus. Because we don't have any computers, or programming experience, this virus works on the honor system. Please delete all the files from your hard drive and manually forward this virus to everyone on your mailing list. Thank you for your cooperation.
I've seen several versions of this, the Amish virus, the Kentucky virus, the Honor System virus, and it seems like they all have the same bug, which prevents the virus from spreading at all:
If you delete all the files from your hard drive first, you'd never be able to forward the virus to everyone on your mailing list, as you have just deleted your email program, mailing list, and the virus itself, not to mention your operating system! Therefore, I present to you this universal patch for all variants of the Honor System virus family.
To patch your Honor System/Kentucky/Amish/whatever virus to version 1.1, replace the payload steps with these:
1. First, manually forward this virus to everyone on your mailing list,
2. And THEN, delete all the files from your hard drive.
KJP
P.S. Hopefully no one reading this is gullible enough to actually do this! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gk7193
Recent bookmarks