What's new

VIRUS attack (1 Viewer)

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I don't know about anyone else, but I have been deluged by virus attacks (maybe 100 or so) and they seem to be somehow connected to the CINEPRO thread I responded to.

I checked off the box to be notified if someone responds to the thread and I have an attack or two every time there is a response.

Anyone else have this happen?

Thank goodness for Norton AntiVirus.

John Casler

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
John,

This is happening all over the Internet. It's that damn "kle...32....something or other" virus that's been going around.

I agree. If you don't have something like NAV or other viral protection you are open to a lot of potential headaches.

Take care. How's it going in LaLaLand?

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Yeah,

I thought others must be getting this thing too.

Since I am on so many lists, I update almost daily. Haven't been infected yet, but the amount of attacks yesterday and today has been "BIG TIME".

Thanks all

John Casler

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
According to Symantec, this is a LEVEL 4, thats only 1 notch before it is the ULTIMATE virus!!!!
Where's BILL GATES and his ARMY..TAKE CARE OF THIS BILL!!
:D

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
If you're getting a virus attack everytime the HTF server notifies you of a response, then chances are the HTF's mail server is also infected. Someone should check this out.
Yes, it would be nice if Bill fixed this little problem, or atleast fixed something! :)
- Mike

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
I suffered the Klez worm a few weeks ago. I did'nt realize that I had a virus and after numerous calls to Dell tech. support, I ended up having to reformat my harddrive. Then, about a week later I saw the Klez worm again, this time I had current anti-virus update so it recognized it. I'm still not sure I got rid of it. Those bastards that keep infecting us with virus's ought to be flogged, hung, drawn, and quartered!!!!! :angry:

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I received loads of e-mails that are the Klez Worm... Never had a problem because I'm not stupid enough to open them. And also, I don't use the Micro$oft Virus Runtime Engine (AKA: Outlook Express) so I never had a problem with viruses...

One thing about it though, is that when it sends itself, it uses some random address instead of your own. The first specimen I got at work was from my Home Address! But closer inspection of the e-mail (Love the Raw View command!) showed that it was my boss! He sent the virsu to everyone in his addressbook but using my name!!! It picks up its addresses by searching in files on your HD, so maybe it's picking up addresses from the cache of the HTF Threads...

W

Will

Micro$oft Virus Runtime Engine (AKA: Outlook Express)
Windoze
smiley_gun_zap.gif
You've got to love it... not.

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
I got this virus on my harddrive about 1.5 weeks ago. I checked my mail with outlook express and noticed some weird topics with HTF in them so not knowing what they were I figured I would just right click them and hit delete. I didnt realized that right clicking a piece of mail would somehow preview it. As soon as I clicked on the mail I saw an hourglass on my screen and knew write then that something just installed itself to my comp. When I cntrl-alt-delete I had some weird thing running in the background like KBCFG32. It also immediately shut down norton antivirus and when I tried to manually launch NAV it gave me a missing file message. I couldnt even reinstall Norton from disc the installation would keep failing. After I rebooted It was still there but now was listed as some other combination of letters and characters. Oh well my comp got the old FORMAT C: /s The thing that concerns me the most is that I was even running antivirus software with the latest updates dated a week earlier than this happened and it just shut it down like it was nothing. Even with those utilities to remove this thing I probably would have still formated anyways just to make sure it was gone.

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought I'd jump in with a bit of information for Norton Anti-Virus users who may be having a problem with the Win32/Klez.h worm. If you are infected you cannot re-load NAV, as you've found out. In order to re-install NAV you will need to use an independant removal program provided by Symantec:
W32.Klez Removal Tool
Once you've run this program (and hopefully removed the virus) you will be able to re-install NAV.
I've spent the last 4-5 days removing this virus from dozens of computers at my company so I'm pretty up on the various ways to eliminate it. If anyone has any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Chip. I wish I would have seen this thread a couple weeks ago. I'm pretty good about backing up so I didnt lose much during the format. I saw on the news that the person who created the "MELLISA" virus got 20 months in prison. Maybe this will send a message to people who create these virus that its not real cool. Maybe they could spend their time writing the next essential app that everyone would need and make some money with there abilities. Oh well thanks again.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Jason,

>I checked my mail with outlook express and noticed some weird topics with HTF in them so not knowing what they were I figured I would just right click them and hit delete. I didnt realized that right clicking a piece of mail would somehow preview it<

I use OE and NAV as well. I also received the Klez worm. However, anytime I'd bring the message to the preview pane, I'd get the virus warning and that's all that ever happened. NAV quarantined it for me with no apparent damage.

Do you have NAV set to scan OE for incoming mail? Did I just get lucky? I do have NAV running to update my AV files automatically, so maybe I received the update that had the Klez fix before I got nailed with that virus? I dunno.

brucek

Second Unit
Yeah, I'm the same as you Rick. In fact if you read the Norton web site info regarding this virus below, it says:
"Norton AntiVirus has been able to detect W32.Klez.E@mm since January 17, 2002".. So if Norton isn't detecting it for you then your dat files aren't up to date....
Link Removed
brucek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks