Virus alert on PowerPuff DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Walter Smailus, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Walter Smailus

2. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

Would getting a virus from the PowerPuff girls cause an embarrassing rash and annoying itchiness? I'll play the disc in my PC, but only if I'm wearing a condom. [​IMG]

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Hmmm...Cats and Dogs/Widescreen had a little sheet in it that said you needed to download a new version of the included software. I wonder if that is related to the virus? And I also wonder if that might be the real reason that the widescreen disc is so hard to find?
    - Steve

4. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

I was wondering what the hell was going on with this dvd. According to Warner, all the copies have been destroyed, but I purchased my copy last Sat. Luckly, I have anti virus protection and when I placed the dvd in my computer, the anti virus sent the virus into quarentine, but I could not delete it.
    Now, what I want to know is will Warner replace this disc for me. Should be interesting.

5. Robyn Young

Robyn Young Stunt Coordinator

I just bought this dvd on monday afternoon, and of course, had watched it on my computer before I found out about the virus. I don't ever install anything, though, so I was safe there.
    I really want the episodes. I wonder what warner will be doing with this disc.
    robyn

6. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I wondered how long it would take for this to happen. Enhanced CD also had this risk, but they're not a format that has the penetration that DVD does.
    I sure hope everybody has their def's updated.
    ------------------
    "What did Mr Spock see when he looked in the toilet? The Captain's Log."
    Stolen from a BBS in 1985

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

How can a virus get on the DVD anyway? Did someone who authored it have it unknowlingly on their computer, or was it put their intentionally somehwere along the production chain?
    I've never seen a virus on a program CD, so it seems odd it would slip through on a DVD. Maybe the companies just don't check for it?
    /Mike

8. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    Probably it was unknowningly on what of the production computers. At the Technicolor DVD manufacturing plant one of the first things they do after they receive the source DVD media from the studio is scan it for viruses. I believe they have encountered a few. I hadn't realized this would be a problem, but I see it makes perfect sense. And now we see a case of a DVD released with one.
    If Technicolor catches it at the first stage in manufacturing, then they'll simply send it back to the studio. I wonder who made the Powerpuff DVD.
    ------------------

9. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

Warners has their own plant, called "WAMO" (Warner Advanced Media Operations, I think).
    [Insert picture of WAMO employee buying Norton Antivirus at CompUSA]
    [Edited last by Marty Christion on November 01, 2001 at 01:41 PM]

10. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

I ordered my copy from Amazon. Here's what they said in an e-mail received this evening:
    "We're writing to let you know that a DVD title recently shipped to you, "The Powerpuff Girls - Meet The Beat-Alls," has been recalled by the manufacturer, Warner Home Video, because it may contain a computer virus. The virus can be harmful to the computer operating systems and, to be safe, the DVD should not be played on computer systems.
    "Please note that this DVD poses no threat to conventional DVD players.
    "We will be initiating a refund of your purchase price including shipping, and we'll send you e-mail as soon as the refund is complete. Please feel free to discard or destroy the DVD you received. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this may have caused."
    Amazon, as always, demonstrates 1st class customer service in dealing with this. Thanks, Amazon! [​IMG]

11. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter