Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JamesH, Aug 27, 2003.

1. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I have to take some time out and give Sega some props for this awesome game. At only $15 with the best buy coupon, it practically feels like I stole it. Anyway, Sega has IMO managed to stay at the top of 3D fighting by delivering a ton of new stuff along with the unmatched depth of the Virtua Fighter series.

My favorite addition is the Hyper Action Battle tourney that you can play in the new quest mode. Basically, all moves can be instantly cancelled and linked together, meaning you can string together 20+ hit combos that you're in complete control of. Those nostalgic for Killer Instinct might want to check this out. You can do some REALLY sick stuff in this mode, although unfortunately the replays can't be saved.

The graphics also got a huge bump. They're still basically the same polys and textures, but the game runs about 50 bazillion times cleaner. While VF 4 had artifacts that made it border on ugly, VF4:E runs so clean that I can barely tell it's been de-interlaced on my high-def set.

The quest mode is a lot more accessible than the Kumite mode from VF4 since you can always go to lower tourneys to polish your skills after a long absence and still get rewarded for it. There are lots of character accessories to get and the character customization is well done. There is also a much improved training mode. Many of the characters have altered movesets, giving you a reason to still keep the old VF4 around. There is a lots of play here even as a one player game due to the quest mode. I've spent several nights with it and I'm still not close to done with my first character. The two new characters also give a nice change of pace since they have fighting styles that haven't been represented in VF yet.

This game is actually probably better than Soul Calibur 2, which is pretty shocking given the super price tag. There's really no reason not to buy this. As I said before, you can get it for $15 which borders on stealing given the quality of the product.

2. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

Im definately planning on giving this one a try. I had always skipped this because its former releases usually conicided with the Tekken releases but its been getting some pretty good hype. Sounds like fun. What bestbuy coupon are you talking about?

3. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I played Soul Calibur 2 at EBGames yesterday and thought it was okay (what I was expecting). I used to love fighting games, but now I tend to favor games with more of a story line (e.g., Splinter Cell, Knights of the Old Republic, etc.). I'm thinking about picking up VF4:Evolution because it's so cheap and I have yet to truly sit down and play a game from that series. I played the original Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast to death and the sequel just seemed too similar for me to plop down $50.00 for it. I think it's a great game for fight fans, however, I'll likely spend my money on one of the upcoming adventure games.

Oh yeah- I played the Hoth level demo of Rebel Strike and it KICKS ASS! Nothing like climbing up to the underbelly of a walker, whipping out the lightsaber to cut a hole it in, and tossing in a grenade to watch it fall. I'll definately be picking that one up!

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer