What's new

Violet streaks on Sony KV32FS100 (1 Viewer)

Mike Danilko

Auditioning
I purchased the KV32FS100 on Dec 23 and after my initial awe of the picture watching DVDs like Lord of the Rings, I have noticed violet or purplish pink, streaks vertically on the edge of both sides of the tube. These streaks are only noticeable on white backgrounds but seeing as I watch a lot of hockey on this tv I see a lot of white backgrounds. The problem is at its worst in Sports mode and less severe in Normal and Movie mode. By reducing the brightness in Sports I can almost eliminate the streaks. I called the store and they sent out a tech who when I talked to on the phone didn't know what I was talking about and then when he came out he said "Oh, Wegas do that because of the flat screen." My only recourse seemed to be to send the TV back for another one. Then I discovered this forum, great forum by the way, and saw all the other problems with the Wegas and I am now in a quandary about what to do. I checked this out on the display model at the store and it was barely noticeable but it seemed to have geometry issues with the widescreen dvd format. My set does not seem to exhibit the uneven brightness, funhouse or other geometry issues and seeing as how the store I bought from is quite small the are not likely to let me open all their boxes to test them all out. So what advice would you guys give me, reduce the brightness and live with it or send it back and take my chances on the next set? Thanks in advance for any input.

lee.b

Stunt Coordinator
I recently bought the kv27fv300 (or something like that). I, too, had asked for help from forum members with the same thing. Not that I got a reply then, but, I realized that I wasn't the first to spot the pink lines.

Mine are really only noticeable on the left side...they are there on the right...but more faintly.

Yes, I could reduce the conspicuousnes slightly. After a while, I realized I had to just decide to live with it. It's an easy decision for me, because we just can't believe how good the picture is on this tv...and...sound. Built in subwoofer, trusurround mode, wonderful 'wet' looking picture...I can live with the pink bars popping out on white backgrounds.

I don't watch a lot of hockey..but I thougth about what I would do if I did. I understand your quandry. First off, it seems to be inherent in just about 'all' of these wegas.
And Sony is aware of the problem, suffice to say, if they could have fixed it, they would have. From what I remember reading somewhere, it's a by-product of whatever technique they use to get you the fine picture you see. A trade-off, have you.

I'm sure they'll find a fix for it in future models, especially after they reconcile the amount of returns/exchanges that have taken place with the wegas on the same issue. Or maybe it's not a fixable problem...I don't know.

So what to do? I can live with it because the tv shines, as it were, it all other areas. It would be silly for us to give up a great tv/movie/music experience for those occasional pink bars. Also, my tv was an 'open box' special, display model, slightly flawed jack panel that we had to glue to fix...so we got it for $140 less than the regular circuit city price. We can't complain, really.

If the tv satifies you in all other areas (I'm not sure the 100 series comes with subwoofer, trusurround etc)I would just stick with it and enjoy it for the reason you bought it.

Mike Danilko

Auditioning
Thanks for the excellent reply Lee. I am still wavering on what to do with this TV but you have pushed my closer to keeping it and living with its, so far, only flaw. I am still disappointed in the reality that we have to find out these quirks of a product ourselves as opposed to the salespeople or manufacturers laying it all out for us to then make an informed decision. I think that most people that buy higher end equipment no matter what it is, electronics, autos or whatever, are bound to be a tad pickier than the average Joe that shops only at Walmart. We also expect more from the products we do purchase. I was told from the store I bought the TV from and also the people at the Sony Store that they had never seen or had anyone complain about these streaks. Even the guy at Sony sevice said "huh, never heard of that". I am finding this hard to believe after reading the various post on this forum. Anyway thanks for the reply Lee.

JasonRH

Second Unit
I went through a few wegas and they all had green vertical lines running on the sides for a few inches in. I read about a possible fix on another forum a while back for the pink bars but most techs aren't likely to know much (at least all the ones I've dealt with don't)about what to adjust. I finally gave up on Sony and went with a Toshiba flat. Finally, none of the problems that were present on the Sony.

I can tell you that you will notice those bars more and more and they will be distracting now that you know they are there. It drove me crazy. You will probably start to notice them on most light backgrounds like a blue sky. It's up to you if you think you can overlook it but it ended up becoming way too distracting for me. Good luck

p.s. they got worse over time with me as well so that's something to think about as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks