VIOLENT CITY Annoying Soundtrack Changes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GerardoHP, Feb 11, 2002.

1. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    I just got Anchor Bay's VIOLENT CITY, a minor cult film from 1970 starring Charles Bronson that happens to be one I like. Because the DVD contains the "complete, uncut version" of the film which includes dialogue that was never dubbed into English, the soundtrack switches annoyingly from English to Italian in the middle of several scenes, with English subtitles appearing during those portions of the dialogue.

Anchor Bay has done this before, more successfully (IMHO) when whole scenes, rather than portions of several scenes, are affected.

Unfortunately, Anchor Bay subtitled the Italian dialogue sections but did not produce complete English subtitles for the whole film, such that you'd be able to watch the whole thing in Italian with subtitles for a more consistent effect. The option is to use closed-captioning, but this too produces an inconsistent effect that gets in the way of enjoying the movie.

Otherwise, VIOLENT CITY has a clean transfer with some interesting extras.

2. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

GerardoHP,

3. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron

4. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

5. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

There's always the chance that (a.) Anchor Bay were denied the use of the English soundtrack for the added scenes by the rights owners (who alternatively may have been requesting an exorbitant amount of money for it), or (b.) the English soundtrack for those extra scenes might have been of poor quality. I haven't read how Anchor Bay describe this soundtrack change on VIOLENT CITY's packaging, so I'm not sure what explanation they've given in this instance. For what it's worth, a complete English soundtrack reportedly exists for the full-length DEEP RED, but the rights owners wanted an enormous amount of money for it, which is why you won't find a 2-hr plus English language DEEP RED on video anywhere in the world at this point.

I currently take accusations that Anchor Bay have 'screwed up' with some of these soundtracks with a grain of salt. Yes, you might be able to find the soundtrack on a foreign laserdisc pressing (or a Venezuelan VHS release) but rights clearances and quality-control sometimes lead in a different direction. Pretty much every DVD company I can think of that has released Eurocult films has encountered problems of this sort, or similar. Fan postings do come in handy sometimes to indicate what variant versions exist, but I no longer accept them as the final authority on whether companies like AB know what they're doing.