What's new

Violent Childrens/Adult Shows (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Hey all, for my English class, my ISU requires me to research and write a report on violence in television.

I'd just like a little help, if some of you could suggest a list of a)Childrens shows and; b)Adult/Young Adult shows that depict violence regularily.

In a couple of weeks I'll be formulating a survey in the poll's section asking various questions regarding the topic.

Thanks alot guys (and gals)...

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
What are you using as a thesis for your report? Is it just a summary of violent TV shows, or a commentary on the influence of violent television on society? Or something else entirely?

Oh, and do you want a list of all violent TV shows in television history, or only recent violent TV shows?

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
What are your parameters for violence? Are cartoons acceptable or should it be only the non-animated shows that are used?

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Yeah I remember watching old Bugs Bunny cartoon where it shows them getting bonked on the head with frying pans and other stuff, or Wylie Coyote getting smashed by a rock or blown up.

Now the exact same cartoon won't show the violence, they'll pan off screen you'll hear some sound effect and then the character will walk on screen charred or flattened or whatever.

Its really kind of stupid IMO.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
ultimate muscle, power rangers, and pokemon.. All deal with characters fighting, which could loosely be considered violence. The Simpsons, although more of an adult natured show, regularly shows the Itchy and Scratchy insert, in which both characters are gruesomly attacking each other.

As for adult shows the first and foremost violent show, that has had recently more, " I can't believe they would show that on TV" comments is Nip/Tuck.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
they'll pan off screen you'll hear some sound effect and then the character will walk on screen charred or flattened or whatever.
Its really kind of stupid IMO.
Well, it's been done for thousands of years, starting with the Greeks. You might want to read up on it, IMO. Considering Looney Tunes would do a lot of the same, I don't see how it's stupid. A lot of those tunes aren't as violent as you remember. That having been said, a lot of them are. But who's to say what's better, when it's all ultimately opinion?

Hunter P

Screenwriter

These are parodies of the Tom and Jerry cartoons. The Simpsons are trying to expose how we overlook the extreme violence in "children's" shows. Tom and Jerry regularly chopped off body parts and other violent acts.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
My kids watch a lot of the 1965 Tom and Jerry cartoons and they are very violent. I don't think that Itchy and Scratchy count since they are clearly parodies.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Well, it's been done for thousands of years, starting with the Greeks. You might want to read up on it, IMO.
What are you talking about??

Justin - My point was that they weren't very violent and when I saw them as a younger kid I remember them showing the actualy act not some sound effect. I was recently watching the exact same epsiode and they don't show the act anymore just the results.

So therefore given the history of violence in Cartoons they seem to be trying to reduce the violence merely by not showing it on screen. While some newer cartoons still show violence and more so than they did when I was growing up.

Not That I care one way or another, I just find the censorship of the original cartoon violence to be stupid because there are so many other cartoons still showing it to a higher degree.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
I was amazed looking back at some of the old Muppet Show epidodes and specials. They were much more violent to one another than I remembered.

JKS

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The Powerpuff Girls and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the new series on Fox) are have alot of violence. I also agree that Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies and Tom & Jerry cartoons are pretty violent, however they were never intended just for kids.

As for Adult/Young Adult shows, how about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or Alias?

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Max, it's basically what you said...a commentary on violence in television. I'm not sure exactly what I'll be getting at, but I'm just piecing things together rite now. Also, recent shows would be preferred.

Dave, cartoons are acceptable...

An example of one topic I will touch upon is the comparison of violent scenes in both Adult and Children's shows, yet the former is the one with the viewer discretion warnings (not exactly perfect, but I'm working on it)...

Thanks guys, for the help...

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Justin - My point was that they weren't very violent and when I saw them as a younger kid I remember them showing the actualy act not some sound effect. I was recently watching the exact same epsiode and they don't show the act anymore just the results.
I misinterpreted you. I thought you were commenting on the nature of contemporary cartoons as compared to the classics. I didn't realize you were commenting on the editing of classics to omit the violence... while my original statement stands in the original context, you're right that editing isn't a good idea. If they don't think the content is appropriate, they shouldn't show the cartoon at all.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Okay Mark!

You can add 24 to the list: season 1 had passenger jet bombing, attempted rape, lots of shootings etc, season 2 had torture, including threats of family execution.

I'm not sure if you wanted to include Japanese cartoons in your report...the most violent series I've ever seen was Violence Jack, which featured gang rapes and mutilations followed by murder (and I saw the censored version - holy crap). It was watched nationwide by grade-school children back in the mid 1970s according to my Japanese friend when she was over 10 years old.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The first episode of 24 Season 2 has the main character chopping off a guy's head. There's also a group of people who keep a running body count of how many people the main character kills in a season (which is pretty high, actually).

The Real World has had some violence. In the Seattle season (I think it was that season) a guy slapped a girl in the face as she was leaving the house for good.

One running joke on the Simpsons was Homer choking Bart.

Most kids shows are cartoons anyway, as are most of the violent Young Adult shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks