What's new

Vinyl (1 Viewer)

Vinny Petronio

Stunt Coordinator
Vinyl lovers tell me about your collection and your personal preferences of music on vinyl, and why you think its better then cd/dvd sound.:emoji_thumbsup:

David Egan

Stunt Coordinator
I've sold off most of my lps in recent years but have held on to the really good ones, mostly Japanese pressings and Original Master Recordings issued by MFSL. Nothing else sounds quite like Sgt Pepper, Ziggy Stardust or Dak Side of the Moon from MFSL.

The good news is that CDs are getting better all the time. Recent 24-bit reissues of the Bowie, King Crimson and Greatful Dead catalogs are a match for the highest quality LPs. I'm getting so picky that I can no longer be bothered with standard vinyl or CDs that are more than a few years old. When something in my collection becomes obsolete. I sell it right away. I can't listen to a CD produced in the 80s

And new vinyl aint quite dead! I recently picked up several of Bob Dylan's early records in editions that are exact reproductions of the original releases (in mono and taken from the analog source). Whether or not you need to own a turntable depends a lot on which musicians you listen to.

I also am holding on to my small collections of punk rock 45s and 12" singles which each have their own distinct qualities.

Vinny Petronio

Stunt Coordinator
I totally agree with you and have keep only the original pressings rolling stones, The who, Styx,Areosmith,Lead Zepplin,Leanerd Skinnered,BeeGees,Kiss,Alice Copper,Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyed. I coud go on and on I am now compiling a collection on DVD A which I am enjoying very much,and am looking every week for new material this way.:emoji_thumbsup:

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
One of the things I really miss about vinyl is the artwork on the cover. Granted, it's there on the CD but it's very small. An LP has that big artwork; sometimes makes you feel like you bought a painting or a photographic lithograph.

In fact, just tonight I purchased a copy of 'Adore' by the Smashing Pumpkins on vinyl and the artwork is awesome. The cover has the woman that's on the CD cover; but in this case the picture is in full color and is uncropped. The dress she is wearing is a vibrant red. A truly beautiful Album cover.

Also on vinyl, got a copy of Johnny Cash's latest with a bonus interview disc included, and 'Is This It' by the Strokes. Great cover also.

Later, Rick

Vinny Petronio

Stunt Coordinator
Rick,
You are so right they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
I love sometimes just looking at the covers and examining the art work and what the artist thoughts were during their inception being a printer by trade for the past 30 years makes me appreciate them even more.:emoji_thumbsup: Ps how doe's the album sound?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I just got Busta Rhymes' latest "Genesis" on vinyl and it sounds like total DOGSHIT!!! :eek: Worst soundsing record I've ever bought!!!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I just dug up some old vinyl that I haven't played in years thanks to the resurrected Beatles thread...
Vinyl is what I grew up with so it has a great deal of sentimental appeal to me. A lot of the stuff I picked up in the 70s and 80s I never replaced with CD because the vinyl always sounded fine to me.
I got a job in Philly and was living there for about 4 years in the mid-90s. Right near me in Ardmore, PA, was a great used record store called "Plastic Fantastic". They sold used records for about $4 each. Some collectors items were more expensive (MFSL Abbey Road - $25 - my biggest regret). My collection grew by at least 1/3rd. I used the cheap prices to pick up a lot of stuff I was always curious about but never got into, like Marshall Crenshaw, some Beatles stuff, Clash, Paul McCartney, some classical stuff, etc. It was not unusual for me to walk out of there carrying 10 used LPs in a bag on a Saturday morning.
My collection is about 400-500 LPs and probabl 100 or so 45s and they get plenty of rotation. TO portablize them I use MiniDisc, which works extremely well for the purpose. Like My LD collection, there is a LOT of stuff that has never been re-released, and much of it I am very passionate about (T-Bone Burnett, The Rings, rare 12" singles from the likes of Gary Numan and The Stranglers, obscure 45RPM B-Sides from U2, Paul McCartney and others.).
Vinyl is wonderful, I love it. And I'm no audiophile, my "golden ears" were damaged by playing in a loud hair band in the late 80s/early 90s. :) I have mid-fi gear (Denon DP7F/AT311EP, H/K 3270 receiver, Mirage 290IS speakers in the office) and don't notice that vinyl "breathes" or sounds "smooth", it just plain sounds good to me. :) Easily as good as CD, and I don't mind the noise floor or inconvenience of changing sides. Heck, it's kind of fun to go through the rigamarole involved in playing a record.
I still buy new vinyl! I got Metallica's ReLoad on vinyl, and have picked up a couple Jazz re-releases from John Coltrane and Sonny Rollins (those sound breathtaking even to my admittadly no-golden ears).
I'm still a little miffed about the Busta Rhymes though.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I to love vinyl. My collection is rather small but my dvd collection gets most of my paycheck. Also most of the local punk and hardcore bands that I listen to only have the money to put stuff out on vinyl plus where else can you get your music in different colors; red vinyl, green vinyl, gold vinyl, and get 12 songs on a 7 inch for 3.50. GOD BLESS VINYL.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
When Phil got his new turntable (1995? 96?) I was the fortunate soul who received his old one. He also kindly handed down some of his old LPs, the ones he had upgraded to CD. In addition to intoducing me to the wonders of vinyl, this also added a whole new stable of artists to my list of influences, some of whom have become my favorites (Joe Jackson, Steely Dan, T-Bone Burnett, Bruce Cockburn).

Here in Richmond, I supplemented my collection at Plan 9 in Carytown, which used to have used vinyl in crates on the sidewalk for $1 each! I more than doubled my collection. It was hit-or-miss; some of them were worn pretty thin (all the Dan Fogelberg is unlistenable), but several of them sounded like they had barely been played (how could you own Urban Dance Squad's Mental Floss for the Globe and not listen to it???). I must have bought 200+ LPs in 2 years. Many of them haven't even been listened to.

In short: vinyl rules. Unfortunately, Plan 9 has figured that out and they have a whole floor devoted to it--and priced up accordingly.

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
I "ebayed" my JVC QL5 about 2 years ago...anybody that finds themselves in the Bay Area call me up and I'll be happy to donate my 50 or so records. I cannot part with them but I also cannot play them anymore (so they are boxed in the garage).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks