What's new

Vinyl! Turntables! Help! (1 Viewer)

Stephen Gladwin

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've been toying with the idea of jumping into vinyl for a while now. I've been quite dissatisfied with the whole compact disc thing (puny artwork, brittle "digital" sound for older analog masters, which is most of what I listen to, stuff I want to hear that's only available on vinyl, etc). I remember hearing a friend's turntable and was blown away by the warmth and musicality of it and immediately knew what i was missing...

But it seems like a dizzying and daunting field. Basically, I just want a good, solid player (Technics seems to be the best and most durable for the $500 range). BUT I have some questions:

-Do I need a pre-amp (see below for my current speaker/amp setup)? I've heard some turntables have them built in, but I dunno...
-What stylus is a good match for a Technics? I'm looking at the "classic" 1200 MK2 model. I'm on a budget here: I don't want to spend more than $100 for a stylus...
-Any other recommendations for a good mid-range turntable? That is, no more than $500

**MY CURRENT SETUP: I have a 5.1 home theater setup (JBL Northridge E series speakers and a 10" SVS sub) and a 6.1 Denon receiver (AVR 1705). I know this setup is optimized for films, but I would assume the speakers would get the job done for vinyl too right? But most importantly, with this setup, would I need a separate pre-amp? For what it's worth, I don't see a "phono" jack in the Denon manual, which is usually what's used to connect a turntable, right?

THANKS for any help on this!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's called distortion. Like it or not, my friend, that 'warmth' is distortion. It's minute, but it nonetheless is what gives that slightly more easy on the ears sound. The supposedly 'brittle' sound of digital is what's there when this aural comfort blanket is removed.

And as for 'musicality' - isn't it extraordinary how many top flight classical musicians insist that their work is available on vinyl because of its inherently better 'musicality'. Hang on, what's that you say? They don't? But how can that be? Surely they above all others would know about 'musicality', and yet they prefer digital? How very odd. ;)

By all means buy into vinyl, but don't kid yourself that it's a 'purer' sound - it ain't. It's worse in a great many ways. The surface noise from vinyl alone was enough to drive into the arms of digital at an early stage.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
According to: Denon AVR-1705 Home theater receiver with Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES and Pro Logic Iix at Crutchfield.com

Your AVR doesn't have a phono input. No problem, just get an inexpensive one to start out. They can be had for $100 or less. I use an entry level ProJect turntable that came with a stylus (forget what type and it's currently packed away for a move, so I can't look), but it sounds great. I paid something like $350 for the package. $500 could get you something better, especially if you have any interest in used gear.

As to the sound, that's been argued a lot here with everyone having their own opinion. I've done a few comparisons, since I have a few albums on CD, Vinyl and SACD. Generally, I prefer SACD, followed by Vinyl and then CD. Of course, old, scratched vinyl sounds bad, but well preserved vinyl sounds great, within its obvious limitations. Maybe CD has the ability to sound better, but that doesn't mean that every CD out there was well mastered compared to its vinyl original. I've heard some CDs of older music that sounded like they were transferred using really poor equipment. Obviously, the vinyl will be far more satisfying in such situations if the original recording was on vinyl and was well made.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
For $500 you might be able to find a used Technics SL-1200 turntable with tonearm, Denon DL-110 MC cartridge (new), and a Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII phono stage (new). Or for a few dollars more I would recommend the Cambridge Audio 640P phono stage. I've heard this exact system with a Cyrus integrated amp, outstanding for this price.

My first turntable was a used Rega Planar 3 with motor upgrade, which I purchased for CA$480, plus a low millage Dynavector 10x5 cart for CA$250. I was initially using the 640P phono stage, excellent for the money. I've since upgraded to a Naim Stageline phono stage, powered from my Naim 122 preamp.

You'll find a lot of religious debates between these two turntables, the Technics SL-1200 being direct drive, and and Rega Planar 3 being belt driven. These are arguably two most popular "entry-level" turntables.

Until recently I much prefered my turntable over my CD Player, I found the sound to be more warm and engaging, I would lose myself in the music. It's only recently when I upgraded to a Naim CD5x with FlatCap-2x that I've found the CD Player handily beating the turntable in many cases.

Stephen Gladwin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the input so far guys!

To Alon: Thank you for your suggestions for a setup around the $500 mark. I must admit I'm a little wary of buying used electronics though, especially turntables. Can you recommend any reliable refurb dealers of Technics turntables?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Stephen, I purchased my turntable second hand from a reputable dealer in Canada, but there are a number of very popular sites to search, the most popular being audiogon.com. I'm not able to recommend a specific dealer, but even so, turntable's vary very widely in their condition. I wouldn't be too wary of purchasing a used turntable as almost every component is upgradable or replacable - the tonearm, the cartridge, platter, chassis, etc. Right now I have my eye on a circa 1983 Linn LP12, even at 25 years old the turntable is in remarkable condition.

You'll find many Technics SL-1200's on the market as this is the most popular DJ turntable. You'll find just as many Rega Planar 3's (or the newer Rega P3) on the market, as this is the most popular audiophile / music lover turntable for an entry-level system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks