Vinyl to Cd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vinny Petronio, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Vinny Petronio

Vinny Petronio Stunt Coordinator

Nov 24, 2001
    I just received some pristine albums and want to record them to CD on my computer what do I need to do to accomplish this another words what do I need as far as hard ware cables etc. to hook up my system. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Jun 16, 1999
    You could try to get analog line-level output from your pre-amp or your receiver tape deck monitor outputs to your sound card. (Many turntables use RCA jacks for output -- but do NOT output a signal of the same kind as a tape deck or CD player.) Depending on the jacks available on your sound card, this connection method involves either a pair of RCA cables, or a cable that combines two RCA plugs into a 1/8" stereo minijack.

Alternately, if you have a component in your stereo system that does analog -> optical digital conversion (e.g., receiver, MiniDisc deck), and your sound card has a component-style optical digital input, you could run an optical cord.
  3. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Mar 16, 1999
    You'll need a turntable preamp which amplifies the signal to line level and reverses the RIAA equalization curve encoded onto LPs. You can probably still get them at Radio Shack, or check a good independant home audio retailer.

Get a good audio recording program that allows you to equalize, fade in/out, normalize and peak limit your tracks. A plus is the ability to insert track ID's for (1) live recordings, and/or (2) pinpoint division of lengthy tracks. I have prefer Steinberg's Get It On CD (makers of professional audio programs like Cubase). The latest version supports high speed drives, I beleive. If not the driver update is available from their home page.