What's new

vinyl to cd (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i am currently transferring the copy of the shining original soundtrack to cd using my friend's borrowed turntable because i dont have one. my question is, is there anything special i need to know to record the music? i'm just recording it now in 16 bit 44.1kHz stereo, through my pioneer 45tx, using sound forge, and it sounds ok now, but pretty low volume. i am using the phono amp in the receiver, so the sound isnt REALLY low. but its still quiet. should i normalize it to a louder level? any tips on making a good sounding cd out of this lp?

CJ

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but maybe you should look into getting an Audigy II or M-Audio Revolution sound card. They can record up to 192khz/24-bit, you'd benfit from this since vinyl's frequency response can go over 22khz of redbook. But then there's the problem of not being able to author a DVD-A. :angry: If you have an HTPC then it would be a different story.

Also have you tried turning up the line-in volume of your sound card?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i was hoping to get this done without buying anything else. however, i think my current sound card may be on its way out, as i am pretty sure only one of the outpt channels works. i havent put it into another computer yet, so i'm not sure what is wrong yet, but i am almost positive it isnt my speakers. as for the audio, i may run it through cool edit pro to get rid of the clicks and pops, as i have access to a computer that has it. as for the 22kHz frequency response, i can only hear about 20500 Hz. ive turned up the line-in on the card, but it is still a little quieter. i normalized the tracks to a louter level, and it sounds ok, i was just wondering if this is ok to do, since it was recorded at such a low level.

CJ

Rick Blaine

Stunt Coordinator
Christ,
I think you are OK at 16bit / 44.1. Scott's specs are way beyond what an LP can produce anyway, 40-20K under ideal circumstances.

What output are you using to get form the Phono pre-amp to your computer? Are there PreAmp outputs with level control?
It would help to describe your setup in a little more detail. Source I/O - Computer I/O.
If you are using a regular home Hi-Fi amplifier with a phono input, sometimes you can get better output results thru one of the TAPE I/O circuts.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks