Vinyl finish vs Real wood veneer.. what's it worth?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rokzi, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Rokzi

Rokzi Stunt Coordinator

Rodel
    ..not sure if this question belongs here but taking a shot anyway.

Which one is more popularly valued as a better finish?
    would one be more expensive than the other? if so... any idea how much?

To rephrase it... how much extra would you pay for if the finish is in wood veneer that vinyl, if everything else is the same?

(I'm assuming that wood is more valued than vinyl).

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Real wood veneer will always give you a better resale value because real wood veneer is going to cost more nearly every time. The cost will depend on the type and quality of the veneer.

3. Rokzi

Rokzi Stunt Coordinator

Rodel
    Thanks John. If I had to be specific I am looking at (you guess right!) the Bronze B2s and the Silver S2s.

I am concerned with the vinyl finish of the B2s but love the wood finish of the S2s... soundwise I haven't done the A/B yet.
    It's just one of the thing I need to justify the price of the S2s which is almost double the price of the B2s.

Would you commit (as a matter of opinion) to an extra $100? $200?

Hey BTW, I never got to visit MusicLovers. I went to a dealer in San Francisco (Peformance Audio) which is nearer where I work and they were the ones who loaned me the Studio 20s. When I went to ask about the studio 20s and started asking if we can A/B it with the minis right off the bat he just said "well you can try it them out in your home... and if you don't like them..." well you know what happened.

I hope more and more dealers are like that.

4. John Garcia

John
    I'm not familiar with the MAs enough to comment on vinyl vs veneer, in terms of what their quality is. When I auditioned the Joseph Audio RM7Si Signatures at Music Lover's, the difference between vinyl and veneer was $100, and they actually threw in the upgraded finish for my friend who was buying them (we're talking a $1700 pr. of speakers though).

My main speakers have a nice medium cherry veneer on them, but if they were black vinyl, I'd still love them just as much [​IMG]

What's the price difference between the B2s and S2s?

5. Rokzi

Rokzi Stunt Coordinator

Rodel
    Fair enough.

B2 - $400,
    S2 - $750

I'm sure it's not just the finish that makes the S2 more expensive... I just don't want to feel bad or misjudge when I finally take my pick, surely I will come to that. I prefer the veneer a lot more than the vinyl (I think the veneer is prettier, more durable - as in won't peel on the corners), but I need to justify the price difference.

Well... I don't even know if I prefer the sound of the S2s yet...

Hey--not sure if you've seen the pic on my other thread (S2 vs M3 vs Studio 20s. Feel free to post any comments.

6. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I'm a cheap-o. If the only difference between two speakers is the finish, I'm going with the cheaper one with a few exceptions...
    1. If the speaker is butt ugly, I'll buy the more expensive one.
    2. If the cheaper speaker has poor fit and finish, I'll go for the more expensive one.[/list=1]

If the speaker is well-made, I don't think you'll have any problems with it.

7. John Garcia

John
    That's a pretty big difference in price. That wbeing the case, I'd say if you are happy with the performance of the B2s, go with them. If you REALLY like the wood veneer, then the choice is clear.

Just saw the pic of the speakers, hadn't seen it until you mentioned it.