What's new

vinyl faq? (1 Viewer)

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
hey music people,
i was wondering if anyone knows of an online vinyl faq where i can find out stuff about vinyl production, what makes some vinyl really great (audiophile 180g?), etc. i'm just getting into collecting vinyl and i really don't know anything about it (except that i love the way it sounds).
thanks in advance.
------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
bump.
33 vs 45 rpm? which is beter? 180 gram vinyl? what makes it all so good? who makes the best equipment? cartirdges, etc.
------------------

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Since vinyl is a completely analog format and the record/playback mechanism has to do with vibrational energy; a lot of consideration has to do with the material of the playback source.
Basically you want the 'needle' moving not the source. The added mass gives you more stability. Generally the heavier records (japanese, small labels etc) gives you a higher quality of vinyl plus better production techinques.
The higher speed gives you somewhat better fidelity but reduces the time you can squeeze onto a platter. In the 70s they experimented with 'microgrooves'which added time but made the sound quality go downhill.
Remember the output level of a turntable is a lot lower than standard audio equipment. That's why you need to go into a turntable input or a pre-preamp to get the level up (another reason why you have inherent noise problems).
I always liked B&O for turntables, you can find them pretty reasonable. There are a bunch of incredibly expensive crap out there now. I remember passing around a review of a $75,000 turntable (arm not included!!!) to the other engineers around the office and having a good laugh.
Stereophile magazine is a good source for people with way too much money on their hands (or a good laugh on what people will actually buy )
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
I say don't worry so much about the process and just enjoy the music (although I admit to being curious about the process as well)
Try posting something at the Audio Asylum
www.audioasylum.com
They have a vinyl forum there with all sorts of know-it-alls.

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
thanks guys. i know what you mean manny, but i always want to know the hows, whys, n' stuff....
------------------

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
You know what is a great thing? Finding a vinyl LP and listening to an album or track that sounds better (not counting incidental cracks and pops) than a CD version.
an example of this: I have a CD with the song "The wanderer" by Dion. it sounds great, but I found a late 60's compilation LP with the same song on it. It sounded so crisp, no echo, even some pre-song chatter! made the CD version sound like a flat re-processed 45 from a $25 bin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks