"Vintage" Toshiba RPTV, innate problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed Tyburski, May 27, 2001.

1. Ed Tyburski

Ed Tyburski Auditioning

I have a Toshiba TP16G90 circa 1997-98. Fundamentally a very good non HDTV set with internal line doubler and conversion from interlaced to progressive scan (why this was not made accessible via the component inputs, I'll never know). Have an issue with subtle ghosting that is most evident from darker to white transitions with the ghosting ALWAYS to the right side of the dark area. I disabled the SVM (per the excellent info at www.kehoi.com), and this improved the picture overall, but the ghosting is still there. The level of ghosting varies, but sometimes multiple faint closely spaced ghosts are evident. It is mildly annoying. Anyone know what the heck this is an if there is any remedy?

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

The obvious question: have you calibrated your Sharpness setting using Avia or Video Essentials? I have to assume yes given that you disabled SVM.
    Secondly, are you seeing this on all sources and software? Make sure you're using a very clean DVD transfer that isn't plagued by edge enhancement.
    Beyond that I can't offer much advice. I have heard that simply unplugging the SVM boards doesn't totally defeat SVM. Try viewing the images in question while in Movie mode, where SVM is absolutely disabled, and see what happens. My set doesn't seem to show this on program material.
    ------------------
    [email protected]
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

3. Ed Tyburski

Ed Tyburski Auditioning

Thanks for the response. Clarification ... TP61G90. As for your suggestions, very good advice, but no dice. I can actually see the artifacts, if you will, when looking directly into the guns. It just looks like SVM gone astray. Again, not visible all the time, but on DVDs like The Green Mile, a close up of Hanks with the white prison wall in the background leave some faint ghosts (maybe 3 repititions) of Hanks profile. Again, anyone out there with this set, much appreciated for other suggestions.