What's new

Vintage Television Soundtrack Corner (1 Viewer)

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
What ever happened to the humble compilation CDs of Classic TV themes from all your favourite shows? I can't remember the last time I purchased a TV compilation but it has to be at least ten years ago.

Having said that, TV compilations were always a bit of a lottery in whether they were 'As Heard On TV' originals or some obscure cover trying to resemble the original but never quite worked or a mixture of both original (probably ripped from the program itself), and cover.

You can of course still purchase music CDs and film/movie soundtracks but TV theme compilation seem to have bitten the dust. Nobody seems to release them anymore.

GlennC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
As someone who bought dozens of TV theme compilations and TV soundtracks from the sixties onwards I think the reason is simple; the TV themes and soundtracks these days are pretty awful. So much of the music sounds like someone is leaning on the keyboard.

Obviously there are exceptions but there is no comparison between today’s themes and the older ones.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Many shows don't have them anymore, they run the credits over the main action. Or the theme is simply the title of the show. Nothing catchy anymore. Netflix and come premium cable shows have credits and depending on the show, it can be nice. But really, after the 90's, there wasn't much to put on an album. And how many versions of Magnum and The A-Team do we need?

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
Still no official word yet on a Quin Martin volume 3 yet from LLL unless anybody knows different?

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
We’re still waiting … Meanwhile I bought some good film scores from LLL (Morricone’s Two Mules for Sister Sara) and Intrada (Goldsmith’s The Don is Dead).​

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I think I just got the last copy of Sequest DSV (Deluxe 2-disc edition) from Intrada. It's really good. The Spanish guitar on disc 2 is super nice.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
As someone who bought dozens of TV theme compilations and TV soundtracks from the sixties onwards I think the reason is simple; the TV themes and soundtracks these days are pretty awful. So much of the music sounds like someone is leaning on the keyboard.

Obviously there are exceptions but there is no comparison between today’s themes and the older ones.

I feel the same way. Different tv themes conveyed humor and energy depending on the type of show. They don't have that kind of originality these days.
--james

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I hardly see a TV show anymore and wish I had the soundtrack. Used to happen to me a lot, but not very often in the last 10 years. There are still good shows if I look for them, but I miss the days when soundtracks--and characters--had distinct themes that I could whistle.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I hardly see a TV show anymore and wish I had the soundtrack. Used to happen to me a lot, but not very often in the last 10 years. There are still good shows if I look for them, but I miss the days when soundtracks--and characters--had distinct themes that I could whistle.

Wonder if it has do with there being no "good" guys or "bad" guys anymore? All the tv characters are flawed and imperfect. And who writes "love" themes anymore? They're just a symptom of the patriarchy's response to old-fashioned feminine roles. Now that's out of the way, who needs them?

--jthree

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Wonder if it has do with there being no "good" guys or "bad" guys anymore? All the tv characters are flawed and imperfect. And who writes "love" themes anymore? They're just a symptom of the patriarchy's response to old-fashioned feminine roles. Now that's out of the way, who needs them?
You might be right. I tend to think it's because most of the big lyrical influences to younger composers are largely gone. Some of my favorites: Goldsmith, Astley, and Williams, just to name a scant three. The influences just aren't there anymore.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Having been watching some episodes of Cannon and Hawaii Five-O recently the thing that struck he was how elements of the theme music were incorporated into the individual episode soundtracks. I really miss that.

Recently watched the first season of The Wild Wild West, and I noticed that as well, how the main theme was introduced (and varied) into episodes. Now, I miss not getting the soundtrack from La La Land Records. Kudos for all the originality there by the composers.
You're not alone when you watch those old shows, GlennC
--jthree

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
streets.jpg

It's official! The Streets of San Francisco!

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Has anyone picked up the Network “Man In A Suitcases” soundtrack?

Not yet, Alan...I only have this release from several years ago, which has a handful of tracks from MIAS:

R-5056338-1383319405-6685.jpeg.jpg

Speaking of those new, single series soundtrack releases from Network, I'm thinking of picking up the one for The Sentimental Agent.

1599563518053.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks