Vintage Pioneer appreciation website

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny Tse, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I didn't know Pioneer receivers from the 70s attracted such a following. But they sure don't build them like they used to. These were just Pioneer's regular compnents, I wonder what Pioneer would've done if they had an Elite line back then....
    [​IMG]
    Then there's the Pioneer VSA-AX10
    [​IMG]
    Very interesting Silver Pioneer Reference site

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

ahhhhhh, the good old 70's! i did though have a pioneer cassette tape deck from that period. it had pretty blue lights and all but it gave me no end of grief with problems.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

But Pioneer did establish its Elite line in the late 1970s (1978 to be precise). The Elite line then was Pioneer's attempt to ingratiate itself with the high-end audio crowd of the era. The first product was a 20 watts-per-channel stereo power amp, and it featured a glossy piano-black finish. Obviously, the emphasis was on "sound" as opposed to sheer power. There was a stereo preamp released as well.

Remember, but in that day "stereo receivers" were not that well respected among the high-end snobs.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

While we're reviewing this thread on the vintage Pioneer gear, let's not forget about the Sansui gear of the same era. The Sansui receivers from the late 70s were awesome performers. Ebay has its share of these old classics for sale from time-to-time.

Most of this gear such as the Pioneer receivers featured wooden veneer side panels and these receivers were built like tanks. A friend of mine had one of the higher-end Pioneer receivers (could have been their top of the line) and the beast had to have weighed over 75 Lbs.

Ahhh ... the good old days. However, while the gear was nice and solid, I still like the options that are available today. Gear is quite cheap and we have lots of options. We can purchase 15" subwoofer drivers that weigh in at 75 Lbs. for building our "ultimate" subs. We can get 7 channel receivers along with remote controls that give us the power to dim our lights via x10 (and also amplifiers that will literally dim our lights because of all the power they'll draw.)

But, we don't have a lot of silver-faced gear options. However, that appears to be changing. Panasonic has released a lot of silver faced DVD players and I suspect others will probably follow - bringing back the retro-type look to the gear once again.

5. Peter_James

Peter_James Stunt Coordinator

Where I live, it's hard to find a receiver, dvd player etc. that is NOT silver faced. No one here buys black componets like in the states. If you want black, its a special order.

P.J.

6. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

My first stereo consisted of a Pioneer SX-450 and a pair of 12" speakers with no cabinets. I can't say it was the best sounding setup, due to the speakers, but it was all I could afford back in Junior High. It did sound decent in college when I finally bought a pair of speakers with cabinets, especially considering it was rated at only 15 WPC!
    It finally gave up 5 years ago when I replaced it with a Yamaha RX-V730 home theater receiver. 25 years wasn't bad for a bottom of the line receiver, I thought. I must say that for music, the little Pioneer sounded better!
    Recently I purchased a SX-650 at the local GoodWill store for $40. It is powering my stereo setup at my shop and again, this old Pioneer sounds terrific!
    Here is another site with info on vintage Pioneer gear-
    http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer/pindex.html

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Yes it is unfortunant that the Silver selection is not available to us. Only the highest of gear has a choice and it's usual Gold.

But more of the Silver faced stuff is begin to show and it will make a come back. But being that they make both "usually", one to sell in the states in black, and a Silver or Gold across the water, I wish they would offer both here. Only the power plug and wall current section is different usually. It gets a different model#, though the rest is the same as our Black counter part.
    The HT Onkyo Receivers are very sharp in Silver.
    Like the AX10 above, I belive it's the USA equivelent of the Elite 49tx. It's the top of the 2 models with the parametric & room calibration and mic built in anyway. I may be wrong but thats what was explained to me. It's supposed to be both USA and Europe power capable.

Anyway would like to see a choice here (USA) in all components, not just in high end gear, but I imagen costs limit this.

I am one that misses the Classic Silver with blue lighting, when done right. My old Marantz stuff still stands tall in my eyes.

Geoff

8. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I purchased a SX- 1080 125 WPC in 1980 new. I trade in an a Marantz 20 WPC for this and $200. It was on close out.

I still have it and it is great. It will be doing duty along with my new Pioneer 45 TX in my new setup. It weighs about 75 lbs. Great machine.

Mike

9. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

I bought a Pioneer Integrated amp SA-8100 and a TX-7100 tuner back in the mid-70's. They are still going strong as a 2 channel rig down in my basement workshop. That tuner can pick up stations stronger than my Denon. Pioneer and Sansui made some great stuff back then. Anybody know whatever happened to Sansui? I haven't seen any Sansui audio products for a long time. I saw a Sansui 19" TV recently and it looked like a piece of junk.

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

11. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Wayne,
    I posted the same question regarding Sansui to www.goodsound.com on December 24. Don't know if the right to use the "Sansui" name has been sold, because in Japan, Sansui still make some very nice components. Check out this power amp on their Japanese website....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]