What's new

Vintage Marantz receiver with new speakers (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I was looking at getting my parents some JBL S38IIs to replace an old damaged set of Marantz speakers. They have the Marantz 2220B stereo receiver, which when you turn it around says onthe back "130 watts". Looking up specs on the net tho, I've come across http://www.classicaudio.com/value/mz/2220B.html , which seems to say that this thing only does 2x20W. Could the Marantz do the job, or do I have to hunt for a new 2-channel receiver for them as well?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
That means the Marantz receiver consumes 130 watts of electricity and puts out 20 watts per channel. If the receiver is functioning fine and your parents don't listen to music at "head banging" volume levels, it should be OK. On the other hand, you can get a high quality stereo receiver, such as those from Onkyo or Harman Kardon, for not a lot of money and gain conveniences such as remote control and sleep timer.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
My main concern is blowing the speakers by underpowering them. I would assume that they need at last 40 or 50 watts at least, although JBL doesn't publish that specification.

Steve Crowley

Stunt Coordinator
I used to have a Marantz 2235 and it was only 35 wpc. The 2220 should be enough for your parents. That is unless they listen to pipe organs. My parents have a (gasp) bose am5 with a pioneer rack system from Sams. They like it, I don't.
Should be good for them.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
The way it worked with their previous speakers was fine, but one of the woofers got punctured, so I was thinking of getting them new speakers. My concern is not whether the Marantz is a good amp, it is, but rather whether it will work with those JBLs or not.

And yes, I'd assume they'd listen to some organ music on it, their son (namely, me) being an organist.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I have owned 2 Marantz 22-B series receivers and the 2220-B will do just fine at powering the JBL's to a pleasing volume.

Had a 2216-B, sold it a number of years ago. Also still have a mint 2252-B and love it as much now as when I bought it new. The silver brushed aluminum full front and classic Marantz blue lighting in those 2 models certainly is not tuff to look at.
I belive the 2020 has the black insert in the front face, I did not check your link. :b

The only way you might have a problem is if someone pushes it to it's distortion point often, (it could over time) trash the speakers. But by the time the receiver starts to distort, I am sure it will be plenty loud enough for them/you.
This all assuming your not trying to fill a stadiumn with sound and it's a typical sized living room. You should have no problem reaching desired levels of clean sound.

If it's a "major concern" and you want it to play as loud as possible, you might look into more effecient speakers like Klipsch or some thing.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks