What's new

Vintage Marantz Model Nineteen (1 Viewer)

Jon Koby

Auditioning
My dad gave me an old Marantz Model Nineteen stereophonic receiver when he recently moved out of his house. I figured I'd take it since you can never have too much audio equipment! :)
Does anyone know much about this piece? I have done many searches for it, but haven't found much. How highly regarded is it? I learned it's from 1972, and retailed for $1,200 back then. It's in pretty good shape with just one of the tuner backlights burned out, and a few dings. I hooked it up and really liked what I heard. Please let me know if any of you have experience with this receiver. Perhaps it's even worth restoring.

Thanks.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I can't help you price this piece. Is it tube or transistor? I would expect it would be worth more if it used tubes. Marantz once produced a still highly sought after line of separate tube products, including the 7T preamp, models 8 & 9 power amplifiers and the legendary 10B tuner. I don't know if this desirability carried over into their receivers.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This unit is solid state, and I'm a bit familiar with it. (I've owned vintage Marantz gear.) How badly dinged is it? That's crucial. And is the oscilloscope still working?

Even still, this unit would not collect the kind of price that Marantz's vintage tube gear would (such as the Model 7C preamp and the Model 8 and Model 9 amps and the classic, Dick Sequerra-designed Model 10 FM tuner).

The 19 pumped out a genuine 50 watts per channel into 8 Ohms at less than a percent of THD and IMD across 20 Hz-20 kHz with both channels driven -- quite nice in the early '70s. And this was among the last USA-made, handbuilt Marantz units made (even though the company had been long ago sold to Superscope of Japan, with most of its lower-market receivers being mass-produced in Japan; at this time in the early '70s, however, there still were some Marantz units being built by hand in the U.S. -- the Model 33 preamp, the Model 250 power amp, the massive Model 500 power amp, and this, the Model 19 receiver -- as well as the Marantz Model 1200 integrated amp [essentially a Model 3300 preamp mated with a 100 wpc power amp on the same chassis]).

Jon Koby

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies.

I really don't have any intention of selling this unit. I just wanted to know if it was something worth integrating into a 2-channel music system. I did check, and the oscilloscope still works. The only dings are small dents and scratches in the wood casing around the unit. The faceplate is in good shape though.

I guess since I enjoyed the sound it produced (out of fairly cheap bookshelves), I might as well keep it up and running. If nothing else, people have mentioned how cool it looks with the wood casing and vintage looks!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Take it out of the wood cabinet. They looked nice in ads, but the black chassis is nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks