Vintage Kenwood Amp help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ericLee, Nov 22, 2002.

1. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

I have an old kenwood amp. I think it's around 20-25 years old. I know it was paired with AR11's from that era too. The model is ka-701 and it says high speed DC intergrated amp. I hooked it up to some speakers and it seems to draw an excessive amount of energy. After 20mins of listening the lights went on/off and the computer in the room shut off. Is this common for older amps or could there be somthing seriosly wrong with the amp. I don't want to use it because i'm afraid it would fry the electrical system. Also when listening to it I hear faint pops and also on the bass seem very muddy almost like a fuzzy echo sound to it. I wanted to use it as an amp for an svs but unless i fix the problems somehow i'll have to try something else. Can anyone diagnose the problem?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

this is sooo tough without taking it in to a shop (most will give you a free estimate and a tentative analysis). On your own, I'd consider opening it up, checking any and all fuses (get some contact cleaner, remove the fuses, clean the area, etc.). While its open, look around visually and see if anything looks fried. Examine the power cord too while you're at it. Same goes for any connections you make to and from the amp. Also, for the hell of it, consider trying another outlet. Sorry to hear about your problems, I rather did like some of the old stuff from back then.

3. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

This is an integrated 80wpc stereo amp built 80-84, typically amps either work or they don't. I would make sure you had adequate power going to it, put it on a circuit by itseld (15 amp) see if it still trips the breaker, cant speak to the "muddy" sound without looking at it. In top condition it is woryh about 50-85 dollars.
    I don't think you would be happy trying to push a sub unless it was very effecient, better used for trade stock, or getting it refurbed and using for a stereo amp, problem is most places have a bench charge that is higher than the thing is worth, where do you stop?
    I love old KW stuff, pre 80 however.

4. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

thanks for all the info. I already put the thing back in to the garage. It's probly not worth trying to fix. It's in pretty bad shape, there 3 knobs missing, and all the parts look old and dirty and grimy and rusty.

5. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

You can find knobs, and this amp will do just right for someone, I dont think you can have too many amps. You can always use it for trades etc. Dont let it just deteriate in the garage and someday get thrown out. First call around some of the Audio repair shops, someone may want it for parts or may have parts for it, they may be willing to cut you a deal to get rid of there junk by using it to fix yours. Anyway I would explore a little, nothing ventured nothing gained. . .
    Since it is in the garage, put a couple cheap speakers and a tuner or old CD player and enjoy it if you can. Never give up. My brother has a Classic Car lot and he wanted music without putting out any money, in his garage was several old KW pieces including the one you have, from his sound system before he got married, anyway we sorted thru this junk and cobbled up some music for his Classic Car lot, his classic KW stuff gets about as many comments as his cars. . .