What's new

Vintage hardware problem (1 Viewer)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Well, as a (very) few of you might remember, I have had a computer mod in the works for a very long time. I have finally gotten around to doing some work on it and have ran into a problem. My mobo has 2 ide channels and one FDC, which I don't know what that is. Anyway, I had to take the ide cables off for various reasons and when I went to hook it back up I ran into a problem. I was going to have the hd and floppy on one ide and the cdrom on the other. The catch is one ide cable has a 40 pin connector that fits the hd, cd, and mobo just right. The catch is the floppy drive only has a 34 pin connection on it. I have an ide cable that fits it just right, but it doesn't fit the mother board correctly because it is a 40 pin connection. Of course it would be silly to have the floppy with its own cable in my opinion. So here is my question, how do I get it all to work properly? I'm sure I am overlooking something, but all the solutions I've tried have failed. Thanks you guys.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
FDC stands for floppy disk controller. It has its own cable, and doesn't have anything to do with IDE (which carries the hard drives and CD-Roms). If you don't have the cable they can be found cheap, and you could probably ask a few friends if they have any extras lying around. You can put it in upside down, so carefully match the pin numbers with the red stripe on the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks