What's new

Vintage Canadian albums: Brave Belt double CD reissue (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I jokingly commented during a conversation about old Canadian bands whose albums weren't available on CD that I'd need to hunt down the two Brave Belt albums from the early 1970s. Imagine my surprise when he said they were out on a double CD!
For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Brave Belt was the transitional group Randy Bachman formed between leaving The Guess Who and forming Bachman Turner Overdrive. The music is pretty eclectic, as a folk/country/rock combination, mixed with some of former Guess Who vocalist, Chad Allen's bizarre songs. Still, for fans of old Canadian rock, it is very cool to see these albums available on CD.
Does anyone else here even know who Randy Bachman is? :)

John Watson

Screenwriter
Did'nt they do DunRobin? Finally tracked down that neat little tune a year or so ago.

Now, if I could get the old Sandy Selsie and Susan Pesklovits songs!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Did'nt they do DunRobin?
Yup. That was the single from the second album. I haven't heard either of these albums in over 20 years, so when I track a copy of this down it should prove interesting.

Now if they'd remaster the entire BTO collection, the Max Websters, and finally release the first two Prism albums properly, that would be cool. Of course there's also Chilliwack, the original One Horse Blue album, and on and on...

John Watson

Screenwriter
I saw a year or so ago that a cd of Everyday People music had been issued.

This Canadian group (which was no relation to any Sly Stone family outfit) had a couple of good hits in the late 60's early 70's? I think.

I have a vinyl with "I Like What I Like" and "Nova Scotia Homesick Blues", and would buy a cd with both those on it any day. Unfortunately, the cd that has been released doesn't have that second song, so I let it go by

In a similar vein, my brother would almost die to get the 1970's Dr Music albums released on CD

Some of these albums do come out tho, so its good to keep our ears to the ground!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Picked the Brave Belt CD up the other day - all I can say is that it is great to finally have these on CD. Brave Belt II is awesome, completely showing the roots of BTO, and the booklet gives a nice history of the band and how it turned into BTO. The first album takes some getting used to, but is nice to have for continuity's sake.

Bring on the BTO remasters! I'm kicking myself for not buying Head On, Street Action or Rock 'n' Roll Nights when they were briefly available. Apparently there are remastered versions availble from Russia....

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm pretty sure most, if not all of the Red Ryder stuff is out. Solid Gold (I think they did all of these) just reissued albums by Toronto, Headpins, and a couple by Chilliwack. Randy Bachman apparently is reissuing all the Guess Who stuff.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I had never seen Neruda and Breaking Curfew by RR (haven't looked lately though; just archived my lps to DAT). Those are my faves.

Here's another one: Wrabbit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks