What's new

Vintage Bogie (1 Viewer)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Last night I had the pleasure of viewing the 1945 version of "The Big Sleep" starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. All I can say is ....excellent. I had caught the remake of this movie made in the '70's or early 80's starring Robert Mitchum, but had never seen the original. After viewing the movie on TCM I remember why movies like this one endure forever. The chemistry between Bogie and Bacall is incredible. A lot has been made of the sparks that flew between Bogie and Ingrid Bergman in "Casablanca" but Bogie and Bacall, that is true cinematic greatness.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I admit that while I think the movie's fine, my love for the book keeps me from really loving it. It's too bad Mitchum's Marlowe films weren't very good because I think he would have been a much better Philip Marlowe than Bogart. OTOH, I can't imagine a better Sam Spade than Bogart, which is kind of odd considering that he doesn't look anything like the Sam Spade of the book :)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Yes, you are right about the Sam Spade thing. I think "The Maltese Falcon" is another Bogie film that is excellent. Don't get me wrong, I liked Robert Mitchum as Philip Marlowe. I also did enjoy the fact that Jimmy Stewart played the "General" in the Robert Mitchum remake of the "Big Sleep" though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks