Vintage amp/receiver questions!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DavidCooper, Jan 19, 2005.

1. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

Ok...I would greatly appreciate any input on this.

I VERY new to 2-channel stuff and I'm putting together a ver small and inexpensive 2-channel system for my home office. It will be used to play vinyl only. I'm currently thinking of going with a nice vintage stereo receiver/amp for the power etc.

I have been looking at variouis Marantz models on ebay. I have done a little research and it seems the Marantz will offer what I'm looking for. I really don't want to spend more than $100 and I have found several in that range that look like it would fit the bill.

So my question is: Do any of you guys have some advice on this? Would a Marantz be a good choice? Any others that you might recommend? I'm VERY open to suggestions! What would some of you guys choose etc?

Thanks in advance!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I had some mid-70s Marantz gear and the stuff is excellent. Typically conservative power ratings, substantial construction, etc. Mine is a 1977 vintage 30 watts-per-channel integrated amp, and I’ve used it to power a sub and a bass guitar cabinet, with surprisingly good results – no kidding.

Marantz would certainly be my first choice for a modest vintage system, followed by Yamaha or Technics. Marantz certainly takes the prize in the looks department!

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

No doubt...the Marantz stuff looks super cool. Looks like a lot of the McIntosh vintage stuff. But without the big prices!