What's new

Vinegar Syndrome Picks Up Some MGM Catalog Titles (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
You forgot the "Some" in front of people. The film is still a critically admired masterpiece. Its current standing is #371 in TSPDT's prestigious 1,000 greatest films of all time, sandwiched in between Lindsay Anderson's If..... at #370 and Jacques Demy's Young Girls Of Rochefort at 372. And what critical opinions have stood the test of time 100%? Bosley Crowther? John Simon? Judith Crist? James Agee? Stanley Kaufmann?
I have If... Criterion, but haven’t gotten around to watching it yet. So many movies, so little time. :P

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I have If... Criterion, but haven’t gotten around to watching it yet. So many movies, so little time. :P
You have to see it from the perspective of being 17 years old and having just experienced the revolutionary blooming of Paris in May '68, when anarchy seemed the purest poetry.

At the time, it seemed to herald a new kind of cinema, but now it's just a very good film. .

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Well after the epic communist nonsense of 1900(as if Bertolucci like Pasolini, mother always liked you better bro, has any right to be calling out the fascists for their behavior) and Luna in which Clayburgh plays mother of the year I'll let others savor Last Tango.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Yes; MGM owns this one from its acquisition of Orion, who previously acquired Nelson Entertainment.
Hmm, I thought PATTY HEARST was the latest (second) MGM title. RAD looks to be a special limited offer via the film's producers?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
So, I can't tell...have Vinegar Syndrome announced any titles from MGM yet? I see the first post in this thread mentions a title would be announced the following day. Was the title they announced in this deal Malibu High? Have they announced any others?

Malibu High - was released quite some time ago by VS, it's part of the Crown International Library, which they did a great job on a lot of those titles,

As everyone has different aspects of their cinema going experience, the Crown titles are a large part of mine, reasoning- Drive -In theater, almost every Friday or Saturday night during open season, back when they still existed in large numbers. These things were made for that kind of rambunctious crowd, willing to park in the back row , drink beer, watch what was on screen, well sometimes. ;)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Malibu High - was released quite some time ago by VS, it's part of the Crown International Library, which they did a great job on a lot of those titles,

As everyone has different aspects of their cinema going experience, the Crown titles are a large part of mine, reasoning- Drive -In theater, almost every Friday or Saturday night during open season, back when they still existed in large numbers. These things were made for that kind of rambunctious crowd, willing to park in the back row , drink beer, watch what was on screen, well sometimes. ;)
Ah, yes. Crown International. I remember it well. My junior high school film buff friends and I used to refer to the company as "Groan International", as the first film of theirs we saw was "The Skydivers." Yup, the one that has the lowest rating on IMDB. We saw it in a real, honest to goodness movie palace, RKO Keith's in Syracuse, New York, on the second half of a double bill with some low-budget horror film. I don't recall what the A feature was, but I remember "The Skydivers." Sitting in a normal movie theater on a Saturday afternoon and expecting a normal movie and getting "The Skydivers" instead was memorable. Also, I think seeing "The Skydivers" kind of freed us up to what we could do in our little one-reel Super 8 extravaganzas. I mean, if "the Skydivers" could get released in a movie theater, then we could shoot just about anything.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Hmm, I thought PATTY HEARST was the latest (second) MGM title. RAD looks to be a special limited offer via the film's producers?
Possible. IMDb seems to indicate that Schwartzman Productions [successor to Taliafilm II] secured the copyright at some point after its last video release, though IMDb is not exactly a bastion of accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks