What's new

Vinegar Syndrome 3D release in November (1 Viewer)

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
It won't be Amityville 3D nor any of the other previously released major-studio 3D titles bandied about on this thread. It will be a heretofore unreleased (at least domestically in 3D) '80s 3D title, and most of the speculation revolves around Silent Madness.

And Roland, from your lips to God's ear that VS manages to make a November release date but the longer VS waits to announce the title itself, the more my suspicion grows it will not make that deadline and will drift into early '21.

No biggie; I'll eagerly buy it anyway. It's just a matter of managing my own expectations around the fact that the majority of golden- and silver-age 3D blus, with all the painstakingly meticulous work involved, never make their original target street date -- the two latest examples being Wings of the Hawk and Dynasty (both of which I eagerly plan to buy on Day 1, in early '21).

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Maybe somebody can clear something up for me: I can't understand why the remastered golden age 3D blu-rays are always a limited run like, 3000 units. Vincent Price in Mad Magician is years past it's 3000, and now sells for ridiculous sums on eBay. I could understand a certain price point up till the 3000, but why don't they simply keep burning if the demand is there?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mad Magician was a Twilight Time title - that company’s business model involved licensing the right to only produce 3000 copies of a particular title. They did not have the right to make more once they sold the 3000.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
I see. Yet with all the effort and time invested in the restoration and marketing (the hard part already done) you'd think there would have been a clause in an agreement should the run be successful, there would be an option for more.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That was not the Twilight Time business model. The vast majority of their titles did not sell out their 3000 copy allotment, or only did so after steep discounting over a prolonged period in time.

Sony is now free to put it out themselves or to relicense it to another party if they so choose. But it’s worth noting that just because a few scalpers have copies on eBay at inflated prices does not mean that there would be a substantial market for a new edition.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Is the movie called AMITYVILLE 3D? ...and is it on BD? Please show a link to order, if possible...thanks

is this it???
1601841804718.png

1601841802888.png

Last edited:

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
That's interesting Josh. If everybody doesn't already know, The Mad Magician has been available for awhile from Lime Wood Media via Power House Films in the UK with a region free blu disc for only $21.00 buck US plus shipping.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Shout Factory, only available in a set with the other two Amityville films. Might be out of print. Looks like Amazon third party sellers still offering it at close to the original price:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That was not the Twilight Time business model. The vast majority of their titles did not sell out their 3000 copy allotment, or only did so after steep discounting over a prolonged period in time.
There were exceptions, as they re-released a handful of titles that sold out almost immediately (such as Fright Night, Christine, Journey to the Center of the Earth). I believe the second run of FN was also increased to 5,000 copies (which also sold out almost immediately).

Sometimes the original studio will re-issue these on their own, as Sony did with Fright Night and Christine, or they may be re-licensed to another label, as with The Blob (1988) which was re-issued by Shout!/Scream!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
That's interesting Josh. If everybody doesn't already know, The Mad Magician has been available for awhile from Lime Wood Media via Power House Films in the UK with a region free blu disc for only $21.00 buck US plus shipping.
And it's the same master, with many more special features. I recommend it.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
Which bring me back to my point. The 3D market not being what it use to and JAWS already available on 3D blu-ray, I think Vinegar would be very disappointed in sales if indeed they issued JAWS 3D, again. And as Ahollis mentioned, hard to be the price point from Amazon. But if it is JAWS, I'm certainly not purchasing it again.
I just got Jaws3, I wasn't impressed with the 3D. Some ghosting, and the phony shark image breaking through the glass was really bad. But for 10 bucks I guess it's ok.

whyme?

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael mcgee
Any guess what the title might be?

VS said for November release "including our first ever 3D Blu-ray (don’t worry, a flat version will be included as well), of a never-on-disc early 80s horror rarity"

Should be one of the following (release date shown):

ROTTWEILER aka DOGS OF HELL - March 1983
TALES OF THE THIRD DIMENSION - April 1984
SILENT MADNESS - October 1984
Usually, even with vinegar syndrome, they have a three or four-month pre-order . This means if they put out a 3D classic from the silver age in November it could be released in 2021, maybe. This might be a preorder at that time.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Usually, even with vinegar syndrome, they have a three or four-month pre-order . This means if they put out a 3D classic from the silver age in November it could be released in 2021, maybe. This might be a preorder at that time.

I asked on the other site "So after the 3D title is revealed, when should it be released?"

Their response "Beginning mailing the Tuesday after the weekend sale, so 96 hours."

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
From VS:

"It's just four short weeks until our colossal Black Friday 2020 Sale (November 27-30) … But, as usual, the cherries of the sale will be our two magnificent surprise VS titles, which are our long promised (and very first) 3-D Blu-ray of an early 80s horror treat, presented in its original scope framing and in full digital 3-D, Anaglyph 3-D (with custom glasses!) and, of course, Flat 2-D for the first time, along with a late 80s, whacked out, crowd pleasing gore fest from one of our favorite underrated wizards of supernatural slice n' dice! "

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.