Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I imagine Universal was afraid they'd have the opposite problem if they did that, and some potential customers would think it was only a 3D disc and not buy the disc (though I think most/all players can convert 3D to 2D anyway).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I imagine Universal was afraid they'd have the opposite problem if they did that, and some potential customers would think it was only a 3D disc and not buy the disc (though I think most/all players can convert 3D to 2D anyway).
Only if the player is 3D capable to begin with. If not, you'll get an error message.

• Insightful
Reactions: Malcolm R

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Which bring me back to my point. The 3D market not being what it use to and JAWS already available on 3D blu-ray, I think Vinegar would be very disappointed in sales if indeed they issued JAWS 3D, again. And as Ahollis mentioned, hard to be the price point from Amazon. But if it is JAWS, I'm certainly not purchasing it again.
I don't think anyone here is saying it's Jaws 3D, since that's still in print. My money's on Silent Madness.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Only if the player is 3D capable to begin with. If not, you'll get an error message.
The MVC spec was designed to be compatible with 2D players but certain greedy studios insisted on packaging their releases so that 2D and 3D were on separate discs. Others followed suit.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s not exactly greed most of the time. Modern 3D conversions are created not by taking the 2D version and generating a second eye view, but by taking the 2D version and synthesizing both a new left eye and right eye, so that neither eye view is actually the true 2D version. In those cases, which represent the majority of modern 3D disc releases, the only way to have both the proper 2D and 3D presentations is to provide separate discs.

Camps

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I too very seriously doubt it would be Jaws 3D, for various reasons.

And I also wouldn't be surprised if it got delayed past November, whatever title it is. 3D blu rays take a long time to spruce up properly, it's a meticulous process, there are always imperfections discovered along the way.... I could easily see the release date drifting into 2021. Maybe VS has been hedging its bets holding out on announcing the title.

Though I'd be very pleasantly surprised if it comes out in Nov. as promised.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think anyone meant to suggest it was Jaws 3D; I think Jaws 3D was mentioned as an example of what the camera optics from that era looked like in response to a question of what the presentation quality could be like.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Flesh for Frankenstein please.
Excellent Panavision 3D. And from the 70’ no less.
Criterion doesn’t seem interested.
VS said for November release "including our first ever 3D Blu-ray (don’t worry, a flat version will be included as well), of a never-on-disc early 80s horror rarity"

Flesh for Frankenstein was already released by Criterion in 2D. It was originally released in the 70's.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
And I also wouldn't be surprised if it got delayed past November, whatever title it is. 3D blu rays take a long time to spruce up properly, it's a meticulous process, there are always imperfections discovered along the way.... I could easily see the release date drifting into 2021. Maybe VS has been hedging its bets holding out on announcing the title.
VS has been talking about releasing a 3D title for about a year now. It will be released in November.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
VS said for November release "including our first ever 3D Blu-ray (don’t worry, a flat version will be included as well), of a never-on-disc early 80s horror rarity"

Flesh for Frankenstein was already released by Criterion in 2D. It was originally released in the 70's.
Ok thanks didn’t realize it was 80’s
In that case hoping for Amityville 3D.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlramS