What's new

Vincenzo Natali's Cypher: August 2 (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I'm afraid that the R1 edition won't have the numerous extras on the German 2-disc edition (over three hours of interviews, short film, etc.): http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=5438 - if anyone here who's region-free and has the German edition, can you verify that the extras are in English and not German. It's available for 7.97 euros on Amazon.de, so I'll probably order it, when we confirm the R1 (lack of?) extras.

EDIT: Nevermind, just checked on DVDPlanet and they list it as being a 1-disc set. I never had any hope for this obscure film to receive the care it did in Europe - strangely enough. Just read carefully the Amazon.de listing, and Babel Fish revealed that all extras feature optional German subtitles. So I'm going ahead with this purcgase!

Juan C

Second Unit
Hi Paul,

If you want to change your thread title, you can "report yourself" to the moderator and ask for the change.

re Cypher, I do have the German edition and it's excellent. The only bad thing is the DTS track is German not English, but the DD5.1 sounds excellent anyway (and there's also a Dolby Headphone track to experience surround sound over your headphones!). The picture quality is stellar, mastered straight from the in-camera negative.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Juan, how are the extras? I can't find a review of this set in English anywhere. I was also thinking about the British 2-disc set, but it apparently excludes the short film "Elevated", which is a huge strike against it. Also, is it true the German edition features an isolated score, which it should, according to Amazon.de?

EDIT: I also went ahead and ordered the French 2-disc CE of Cube, which seems to have really great supplements missing from the R1 Signature edition (like a different commentary, hourlong interview with Natali). I have been on a real Vincenzo Natali kick lately, after getting the Canadian Nothing DVD. What an awesome film!

Juan C

Second Unit

Yes, but isn't a typical isolated track within the movie (where you can watch the movie with the music only). Rather, it's an audio-only track over a fixed-image menu with the track title (think of the techno jukebox in Matrix Revisited). So it's like having the soundtrack album as a freebie (length is 51').

I'm opening a dedicated thread on this edition: see here.

IMO both Cypher and Cube are better than Nothing, which for me was little more than Abbott and Costello Wait for Godot.

Matt Leigh

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really looking forward to seeing this. Strange that it never got a theatrical release.

Nothing had its moments but there was so much more that could have been done with the concept.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
I've owned the stunning R2 Japanese release for sometime now.
You can clearly see both the director Vincenzo and the camera adore Lucy Liu :b
There's a couple of scenes in the bar where she's smoking, literally!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks