What's new

Vincent Sherman - RIP at 99 (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This is heartbreaking. I know he made 99 (a month shy of 100), but he was so active and recorded numerous commentaries over the past year or so. Even a long life can end too soon.
------------------------------------------
LOS ANGELES Vincent Sherman, who directed _ and romanced _ Bette Davis,
Rita Hayworth and Joan Crawford during his heyday as a leading
Hollywood filmmaker in the 1940s and '50s, has died. He would have been
100 on July 16th.

His death Sunday night of natural causes at the Motion Picture and
Television Hospital was announced today by his son, Eric Sherman.

Sherman began his career as an actor, appearing on Broadway and in a
handful of movies, among them 1933's "Counselor at Law."

During the early 1950s, his career was seriously damaged by Hollywood's
communist "red scare." He later became a successful director of such
television series as "The Waltons," "Doctors Hospital," "Baretta,"
"Trapper John, M.D." and "77 Sunset Strip."

Seth.H

Agent
Geez what a coincidence. The Young Philadelphians was on TV the other night.

Haven't seen a lot of Vincent Sherman's work, but it is a damn shame he couldn't make it to 100.

RIP.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am quite sad to hear this news even if he was 99 years old. IMO, a person that reaches that milestone deserves to make it an even 100. Anyway, he was a good director and I have enjoyed several of his films over the years. I'm really looking forward to his commentaries on some of his films that are getting released in the future on dvd.

Crawdaddy

todd s

Senior HTF Member
While I am not a film afficianado or know much of his work. I am glad to hear that he was able to record commentaries for some of his films. I really think it should be a requirement for film students to graduate. That they find an older actor,actress or anyone in the production of a movie and sit with them and record commentaries of their work. If we wait for the studios it may be too late or never happen. Their incites are irreplaceable.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
He was a fine director and lived a long life, great job Vincent. I don't have any sadness for someone living to 99 and 11 months and would be delighted to do the same.

Chris

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Well, speaking for myself Robert, the name didn't exactly ring a bell, and on checking the IMDB I find I've only seen one of his films Adventures of Don Juan (1948), which I own on vhs (where's the DVD?). He did live to 99, we should be so lucky.

RIP

Far more famous directors have had obituary threads in the Movies area with only a page or two of responses, with many active members and 'classic movie connoisseurs' completely ignoring them.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
This is sad news indeed....one of the few remaining people from Hollywood's Golden Age who really knew all the poop on everyone...heck, he was there.

His commentaries will be cherished....it's just a blinking shame that Robert Osborne didn't do a PRIVATE SCREENINGS on Vincent.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks