What's new

Vincent Prices' House On Haunted Hill/Last Man On Earth DVD - The Best DVD Ever? (1 Viewer)

David Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Pound for pound I mean.

I just got this, and it cost me all of $3, and I have to say I am delighted in a way I have never been before. (Well, DVD-wise, just in case the girlfriend is reading this)

For $2, I have 2 quality films in perfectly serviceable quality. Looking at the endless stream of crap I have bought over the last year or so at inflated prices, nothing makes me happier than unearthing such a bargain.

Anyone got a better deal?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Well, if you paid $3 more, you could have gotten Warner's 16x9 DVD of House on Haunted Hill (they released an official DVD of the '59 original).

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand, Last Man on Earth has never had an official DVD release so this will do until such time as MGM gets around to it (I think it's rumored for later this year).

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I picked up LAST MAN ON EARTH at Target a few months back for a whopping $1.00, and was shocked and amazed to see a perfect acceptable widescreen (albeit non-anamorphic) image. I also grabbed Orson Welles' THE STRANGER, which didn't look quite as good... but for a buck, I can't really complain. :D

Jack Connor

Auditioning
"On the other hand, Last Man on Earth has never had an official DVD release so this will do until such time as MGM gets around to it (I think it's rumored for later this year)."

Try next week. :)

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
I can't think of a better DVD value than the Tom & Jerry collection (no, not the cat 'n' mouse team, but the B&W 1930s Mutt 'n' Jeff -type guys), shockingly nice prints of a bunch of fun cartoons, available at 99¢ stores across this great nation of ours (I mean the U.S., in case you were wondering).

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the prints on that (Tom & Jerry) are great, but they used a low bitrate so there's artifacting any time anything moves.
I got Last Man On Earth at the dollar store too but haven't watched that yet, was that stolen from a laserdisc transfer?
I'd say one of the best values from a major studio right now is "From Justin To Kelly"- I bought it for $5.50 just to see how bad it was, regardless of what you might think of the movie the DVD is great. It uses seamless branching to show 2 versions of the movie, and the sound and picture quality are great. I'm a sucker for cheesy musicals so I enjoyed it. I paid $35 for my first DVD "Daylight" which is now available for $5.50, so I'd say they're giving that away now. It has the same contents as a $60+ laserdisc set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks