What's new

Vincent Price - which is his best movie on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
His Kind of Woman.

Oh wait, that's not commercially available...

- Steve

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
OK, I notice a lot of mentions of "Theatre of Blood". I have the film (on a nearly unwatchable DVD, which I haven't bothered to replace.) It's absurdist fun. Price hams it up quite a bit. But surely, it isn't his best work.

Come to think of it, a remake with Pacino could be quite fun.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Theatre of Blood was great fun. I thought Vincent Price was superb in it. Witchfinder General aka The Conqueror Worm may be his greatest role though, Price was so memorably evil as Matthew Hopkins, the film deserves better on DVD.

A Vincent Price film that rarely gets mentioned is Madhouse (1974) co-starring Peter Cushing and Robert 'Count Yorga' Quarry. An interesting horror flick, Vincent Price plays an ageing horror star (what a stretch!) and gets plenty of opportunities to chew the scenery. :)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

THEATRE OF BLOOD is a fantastic film all around; top-drawer horror, comedy and thrills. I've got the DVD too, and don't remember it being remotely unwatchable the last time I viewed it, a few years ago now.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
If we could extend this thread to films that are not on DVD (yet?), then Diary of a Madman from 1962 was pretty good and is not often seen or mentioned.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
JeremyErwin - what movie you have the Alpha version of? The only ones I know of are The Last Man on Earth and The Bat. With Last Man I have the Midnite Movie version which is the one to get and for The Bat, I have the Roan Group version. A few white specks but again, the best in clarity and correct aspect ratio.

I don't know if Price had a personal favorite movie but one of his favorite roles was in Theater of Blood since he loved Shakespeare.

Mark Philp - what a wonderful memory to have! I understand that he was a gentleman in public but could be quite demanding in private, kind of a male version of Martha Stewart :) I love most of his roles but when he had a vicious attitude in movies like Cry of the Banshee I feel a bit uncomfortable watching him. It kills the persona I have in my mind of him.

His first role was in the 1938 comedy (quite handsome when he was young) Service de Luxe which is a Universal picture. It isn't on DVD that I know of but will it be? IMDb gives it high ratings.

Eric

Doug:Li

Stunt Coordinator
LAst Man on Earth for me, House of Wax second...

ok now, mark, you gotta tell the story about that. Dont leave us hanging. :)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Also... I have seen that the 1968 movie Witchfinder General aka Conqueror Worm , is one of his best performances but this AIP/Tigon movie is only available on the Midnite Movies series as a VHS and Sony has no interest in releasing it on DVD. You can find it in Region 2 and 4 and a Brazilian version. If this is one of his best roles, why isn't it being released in Region 1 on DVD?

Eric

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

I didn't know THEATRE OF BLOOD was released by Alpha...crazy. At any rate, it's heavily copyrighted and was released by MGM on DVD as part of their Midnite Movies line, and that's the one you should get.

Charles H

Screenwriter
HIS KIND OF WOMAN is coming out in July as part of the WB Film Noir Collection. Price is terrific as a bombastic film star, and the film is more a sendup of film noir than film noir itself.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
"LAURA"
"HOUSE OF USHER"
"PIT AND THE PENDULUM"
In that order !!!!!!!!

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Vincent Price never turned in a disappointing performance, and even made questionable material better, just by his presence. His William Castle movies are a hoot. Gotta love THE TINGLER and HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL . Also loved all of his AIP movies, HOUSE OF USHER is favorite, as is TOMB OF LIGIEA. PIT AND THE PENDULUM is also great, but in desperate need of a 16:9 enhanced remaster. The AIP comedies THE COMEDY OF TERRORS and THE RAVEN are absolute gems and are fun to watch no matter how many times I have seen them. Even late in his career, Price was on top of his game THE WHALES OF AUGUST and EDWARD SCISSORHANDS are made even more magical by his presence.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Witchfinder General, of course ;)

I'll admit that I've always liked Shock, which was one of his first starring roles. It's coming from Fox later this year in the Noir line.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
THE FLY is one of my all-time favorite films. DR. PHIBES is pretty high up on the list for me. HOUSE OF WAX is great, but I simply can't watch the film unless it's in 3-D.

Price's other 3-D films are great, too. MAD MAGICIAN is genuinely sick at times, DANGEROUS MISSION is a blast to sit through (particularly in 3-D), and SON OF SINBAD is corny, but a lot of fun (and loaded with WIMMIN!)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My favorite is THE ABOMINABLE DR PHIBES; he is clearly having a great time with it, the visuals and music are stunning, and the supporting cast is wonderful.

When I met Price at a speaking engagement in the late 1980s, I asked him to sign my poster of the film (the classic "Love Means Never Having to Say You're Ugly" poster) and to inscribe it with my favorite line of his, bar none: "You can't kill me doctor....I am already dead." One of my most treasured possessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks